Solved

PHEV, Solar and smart meters: does the Smart Charger measure the solar electricity being generated in my house?

• 24 October 2019
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I’m just about to get my PHEV which is a BMW 530e, and I’m thinking of switching to OVO on the EV Everywhere tariff. I also have a 3.9kw Solar system which was installed in 2011, which means I’m fortunate to be on the full FIT, and have deemed export of 50%.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Does the Smart Charger which I can get with this tariff measure the solar electricity being generated in my house, and vary the charge being delivered to the car, like the Zappi unit? Ideally I would like to charge the car solely on solar power, as this will mean 100% zero CO2 usage , at least for the shorter journeys, which will be the majority.
  2. If I have to have a smart meter installed, will this affect my current FIT - ie am I likely to get a reduced FIT payment because the smart meter can measure the amount of electricity actually exported, rather than assume the 50% deemed amount?
  3. What is the lead-time for the Smart Charger installation?

Many thanks in advance for any advice, answers or suggestions.

icon

Best answer by NoPoke 28 October 2019, 18:57

I dont believe that the OVO smart charger is solar aware like the Zappi. 

Given the small size of your car's battery I would not restrict my choice of charger to just those that are solar aware. Unless you have plans to get a full fat BEV. 

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Let’s see if any smart charger members also have solar and can advise on this: @Ajerthebadger @NoPoke @Andras 

With this:

If I have to have a smart meter installed, will this affect my current FIT - ie am I likely to get a reduced FIT payment because the smart meter can measure the amount of electricity actually exported, rather than assume the 50% deemed amount?

You’re correct in that the smart meter can measure your exact export @slimbo - but that doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll be worse off. It depends how much you use and generate. 

More in on our smart chargers here!

Userlevel 5
Badge

I dont believe that the OVO smart charger is solar aware like the Zappi. 

Given the small size of your car's battery I would not restrict my choice of charger to just those that are solar aware. Unless you have plans to get a full fat BEV. 

Hi all,

Thanks for your answers - I confess I am a bit confused about the specification of the Smart Charger as it implies that it can match Solar generation to EV charge rate - or at least at a future date:

https://www.chargedev.co.uk/at-home/smart

But here it says that it does it already:

https://www.chargedev.co.uk/at-home/

So guess i’ll have to wait and see.

@NoPoke , this 530e is the first step towards full EV, when the prices come down and the range is further.

I’m waiting for the installation survey to be schedules, so may get a chance to quiz the engineer at that point.

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers