Solved

My EV charger has stopped working?

• 26 August 2019
  • 9 replies

Hi. My EV charger has stopped working having been great in the 6w I have had it. Now no lights are showing, the Kaluza App says 'not connected. I have tried switching it off at the fuse box, restarting the modem etc etc. Nothing ..... Guide says - 'no power'. I say I can't see why. Any suggestions other than calling the help line?
icon

Best answer by Amy_OVO 29 August 2019, 16:04

I have an update @nickprice!

Please send an email to support@kaluza.com and explain the problem and they'll get back to you asap!

Hope this helps!
View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Hi @nickprice what make is your charger? Is it an OVO smart charger, if so you should contact OVO’s charger team, I’m sure @Amy_OVO will organise this for you
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi All

I have just been reading my ev charger not working on the forum . The amount of time people have had to wait for an engineer or a reply to their emails has completely put me off having ovo install my charger .I will cancel when they get in touch .Can anyone recommend a reliable charger?

Hey @aidan 

From the amount of Charging points which are installed overall. You are only seeing a small percentage of issues. Personally I use a Pod point 7Kw charging point and never had a single issue with it. Might be worth looking at them? But before you do decide to go ahead with this, it might be best to speak with @D10hul 

Userlevel 6
Badge
Welcome to the forum, @nickprice, leave this with me to chase up and I'll be back with you with an answer.

In the meantime @Peetee, @PeterR1947 and @ITGeek123 any ideas?

☺
Userlevel 6
Badge
I have an update @nickprice!

Please send an email to support@kaluza.com and explain the problem and they'll get back to you asap!

Hope this helps!

Hi All

I have just been reading my ev charger not working on the forum . The amount of time people have had to wait for an engineer or a reply to their emails has completely put me off having ovo install my charger .I will cancel when they get in touch .Can anyone recommend a reliable charger?

Userlevel 5
Badge

@aidan @ITGeek123 

The installs are done by Charged EV, they are ok really and like many others will have busy periods, my personal experience has been great, the SMART charger is really reliable and the V2G is pretty much 95% reliable across the board, I have 3 chargers at home, V2G, Smart, Charge-master, all are working and reliable the charge master begin 7 years old now. the features on the Smart are really handy and the app including solar matching and costing, yes other chargers offer this but the Smart Charger is the cheapest on the market and in most cases free** you can't get close for the price and value. 

I don't work for OVO and free is when signing up with OVO EV tariff this offer might have ended now. 

Hope that helps !!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @aidan I’m unsure whether your comment refers to all EV-chargers, or specifically the V2G charger and Smart charger developed by Indra Renewable Technologies (a sister-company to OVO).

Those two chargers are unique in that they are controlled by the Kaluza Platform software.

Unlike other EV chargers, it isn’t just a matter of an electrician installing them on-site. The commissioning process also requires setting up a secure route between the charger and Kaluza. Since the V2G Trial has operated using SMETS1 meters, they didn’t have the option to use Auxiliary Load Control Switch (ALCS) technology. Control and data links are therefore implemented using a wired connection to the customer’s broadband router, which also needed installing.

The installation and commissioning costs turned out to be far higher than had been predicted. This was a major reason why the Trial has been capped at the present user-base of about 400 sites.

If we were discussing an openly-available product, then these costs would be significantly less. But it was essential for OVO/Kaluza to use highly skilled installers because they needed to monitor and modify the installation processes themselves as part of the Trial.

These technologies are part of a much wider group of energy-saving devices which will be connected via Smart Meters over coming years. As such there will increasingly be field-based installation and support engineers much closer to customer sites. This will reduce the time taken for faults to be remedied, and allow OVO to offer annual maintenance/servicing as part of a value-added package. This isn’t currently possible.

I hope that helps clarify the situation. What you’re seeing here on the Forum is not a fair refection on the status of OVO’s charger installation service.

Like @ITGeek123 I don’t work for OVO either.

Thanks for your reply's, very much appreciated.What i read was some people have waited a long long time to get there problem resolved.I think if you have to pay a bit more money to avoid the frustration of terrible customer service then its worth it.Basically this poor customer was ignored and with this forum he/she can at least share there experience and hopefully that should galvanize the management to provide a better service.

thanks will check out pod point

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hello @aidan 

I hope you are well. 

I’m unable to comment on individual accounts, however, I can confirm that all emails are responded to within 2 working days.

The free Smart+ Charger being offered via OVO has also proved very popular, meaning there may have been busy periods, meaning immediate appointments couldn’t be offered, that said, the team over at ChargedEV always ensure the next available appointment is offered once an install is approved. 

If you have any concerns or questions, please let us know by emailing SmartHome@ovoenergy.com.