Solved

How long until I get my smart charger installed on the EV Everywhere tariff?

I am a new customer to OVO and what attracted me was the installation of of a home cheger through Charged EV. I have to say I have been very disappointed with the response so far!
I supplied photos and information on the 22 May 2019 and the only response and contact I have is when I complain that nobody seems to respond unless I complain and then they make an effort byt nothing happens!

It is now July and I have no idea when an if I will get an installation date.

I have been told there I am likely to need extra work but nobody has got back to me with what or when or how it will progress.

Is anybody else having problems trying to get a home charger installed?

I think six weeks is a long time not to even have the basics investigated but even following up on my questions would be a good start.

Please let me know if it is another month or three months or some idea of when I can expect to start charging my car at home?
icon

Best answer by Eva_OVO 2 July 2019, 11:58

I'm sorry to hear you haven't heard back from the team yet, @Pasquale.

It's hard to say how long it will take for an appointment to become available, this will vary. We have to check you're eligible for the OLEV grant before we're able to install the smart charger. You'll also need to have smart meters installed, if you haven't got them yet you can book an appointment here.

The team who arrange the installs can be contacted through our Customer Care team 9-5 Monday-Friday on 0330 30 5063.

Potentially @Hari_OVO could also help with this!
View original

17 replies

Userlevel 5

It's hard to say how long it will take for an appointment to become available, this will vary. We have to check you're eligible for the OLEV grant before we're able to install the smart charger. You'll also need to have smart meters installed, if you haven't got them yet you can book an appointment here.

The team who arrange the installs can be contacted through our Customer Care team 9-5 Monday-Friday on 0330 30 5063.

Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi @Pasquale, really sorry to hear about this. I'm following this up with the team and have asked them to give you a call tomorrow. Please let me know if this doesn't happen.

Thanks,

Hari
Hi. I've been waiting over 3 weeks to hear when I might get an installation date for a home EV charger and meanwhile I've been switched to EV Everywhere.

After finally getting through to ChargeEV they are apparently waiting for OVO (who don't cover my area??) to supply isolation switches and they'll let me know when this is reolved ie they don't know when.

Thinking of switching to Ecotricity now = - sort it out OVO!

Anyone else waiting?
Hi. I’ve just joined OVO and have signed up for V2G. Any idea how long to wait for the installation? Also how long the installation takes and has anyone encountered any problems with the installation process?
Userlevel 5
Badge
Sorry to hear about the delay, @Andy M, I've moved your post here, please check @Eva_OVO's post for further info.

Thanks!
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hey @LoobyLou1 and welcome to the forum!

Please see @Eva_OVO's answer regarding the time-frame for initial install of the charger.

Perhaps @Gum168 or @UC Bear could offer you some insight into their experiences.

Thanks!
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi @LoobyLou1

I can't comment on the V2G system but I was lucky enough to have the very first Smart Charger installed by OVO and my experience has been assisting OVO further develop the app used to control and monitor the Smart Charger.

As with any new development there were a few minor issues which have now been resolved. The most significant fault was eventually traced to a damaged ethernet cable but even this did not stop the Smart Charger from functioning, albeit only as a "dumb" charger!

The OVO installtion engineers I have encoutered during this time have always been both very professional and friendly, and yes they do drink both tea and coffee as fast as it can be made lol.

I can't comment on your installation but once it's installed I'm sure you will find it to be a great product.
Hi
I am sorry to say I have been told that this is in hand but it has been another week gone by and I still have no clear idea or plan of when and how I will get an EV Charger installed.

Just an occasional update would be helpful but so far lots of good intention and words but not much action!!
Userlevel 5
Hello Gang....Hope everyone down there in Bristol is well.

So....what progress has been made?.....I'm due to install the V2G charger next Thursday...and it looks as though I may have fallen at the last fence.

When I bought my first LEAF in January 2017 I asked about V2G but no one knew anything about it. When I bought the second one in January 2018 again no one knew anything about it, even though I tried contacting both Nissan and OVO.

In August I came out of my previous energy provider to sign up to Economy 7 with OVO, the only reason was to go on the V2G Trial.....but it was only when contacted by OVO I found that they don't do Economy 7 with the trial and I would have to change my 2 year contract for a new one....not a problem. I was prepared to take a hit with the payments if it meant an improvement to the network.

I installed new fuses, control boxes and got my electrical system fully checked to make sure it was OK. I sent off my photos and got a home visit from Deven who said everything was OK but had to get Northern Power to check that the fuse was big enough and when they came he left a 100 Amp fuse to be fitted by OVO Energy. The electrician came the next day and fitted both the fuse and an isolation switch....everything is fine and after a phone call arranged the installation for a week this Thursday and Friday.

So, only thing to do now was change my EV Anywhere Economy 7 contract for a standard 24 hour contract.....and that's where it's all gone pear shape.

I don't have a problem with the rate going up from 15.87p day rate/ 8.02p night rate to 16.97p 24 hour rate.....or the standing charge going up from 27p to 28.77p....yes it'll mean more on my bill...but its the £30 cancellation fee for the gas and £30 for the electric I object to. I was only going to make about £57 a year on the electricity I sell back to the grid anyway but with the new contract....and the £60 cancellation fee I'm going to be well out of pocket just to help OVO out....Oh and my Polar Plus package runs out when the old contract runs out. I don't get 2 years on that, even though I'm signing up to a new account which includes 2 year cover for Polar Plus.

So, despite being really keen to do the programme I'm afraid it looks as though I may have to cancel the installation, which is a shame as I really wanted to be involved for the last 2 1/2 years.

If the installation team can come up with an alternative plan then I'm happy to go ahead with the trial but if not I may as well stay on the plan I'm presently on and save a lot of money...or rather not have to fork out a lot.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi @Pasquale - I have been told our installation team have been trying to contact you. If this isn't the case, please let me know via DM and I can follow it up.

@Leo Moran - we should be able to sort this out, I will DM you.
Userlevel 5
Thanks Pasquale...much appreciated. May have to have a run to Scotland tonight but I should be able to get e mails up there..

leo
Well, it's now 3 months since I sent off m home details/photos to Charged EV to get a home charging point fitted and I'm still being told they're having isolation switch supply issues despite OVO sayiong this is not an issue and , as such, I'm still non nearer getting a point fitted.

I've had enough and am switching to Ecotricity - bye!
Userlevel 5
Andy,

Sorry to hear that you're moving. I waited a long time to get mine fitted but they made a brilliant job of it and even enabled me to charge two cars at the same time if I choose. If you want to see my install have a look here at the bottom, it may interest you...

Leo
https://forum.ovoenergy.com/what-is-v2g-technology-90/check-out-my-v2g-vehicle-to-grid-installation-with-ovo-energy-6720#post21979

Oh and if you're wondering how long it'll take to get one, they are installing 1,000 and mine and Aarons are amongst the first 20 to be installed...
Very nice but having repeatedly being told different things by OVO and EV Everywhere with no resolution in sight I'm taking the view that this is not acceptable customer service and am voting with my feet!
Userlevel 5
Andy....I'm very much like you. I believe in service means everything and I'd rather go to somewhere that treats me well than somewhere that doesn't regardless of what I lose......but once installed my charger should make about £300 a year which is enough to pay for the running of the house......up to you whether you think your bank balance is worth more than a bit of pride....In the last 9 days I've made £9.75 whilst the car has been standing in the garage.
My new vehicle should be here this month, and I am now supplied by OVO, but no contact from Smart Charger people. How long does this activity take from start to finish?
Userlevel 5
Badge

Great news about your new electric vehicle @criagBroadbent and welcome to the forum! Check out the above best answer and lots of other handy info in thread above.

Hope this helps!