How do I charge my EV if I don’t have a garage or driveway?

• 6 February 2018
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
This is definitely something that’s becoming more of a challenge! With more and more people making the switch to an EV, having the ability to charge your car where you live ist going to get even more critical in potential buyers’ decision making when looking to move to an EV or Hybrid.

The good news is that ubitricity is continuing to work with multiple councils around the UK to install more lamp post charging points.

We’ve written a handy guide to urban charging here:
https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/electric-cars/what-is-urban-charging.html

Have any of you had experience of urban or on street charging? How easy is it? Have there been any challenges? It would be great to hear from you so get posting below and share your stories.

11 replies

Badge
It is becoming possible to run cables across the pavement by means of a channel dug out from the concrete or even a domed cable cover to avoid tripping hazards. Talk to your local authority about it.
Userlevel 1
Theres also a scheme starting from some local councils were they are installing charge sockets on street lamp posts..👍
Userlevel 2
It is possible to get by charging at public chargers. Some are free, others can be cheaper than charging at home. Polar, for example is currrently 9p +vat per KWh.

One 30 min rapid charge of a Nissan Leaf will last 60 miles +

If you are only doing local mileage and there are public chargers nearby it is definitely feasible
Userlevel 1
I tried a rapid chargervonce, worked out about £5-6
Chargemaster make a freestanding charging point which could (if the local council etc agree to it) be installed on a pavement beside the road where you park (assuming that you can park outside your house) and connected to your electricity supply. The Chargemaster points come with a key which allows you to lock the charger so that nobody else can use it while you're away.

Whether or not you'd get permission to install a point I don't know, but you could ask Chargemaster, I expect they'd be keen to help.
Userlevel 1
@Hairy Animal Yes, we would!

We find many urban EV drivers are able to use a rapid charger, say once a week, to do all of their weekly mileage. Otherwise, think of all the other places you regularly park for at least an hour - the office, the gym, the shops, the cinema etc. They are all places where you could charge!

As has been said, floor-mounted fast chargers can be ideal for pavement locations, providing local authorities permit them to be installed.

Tom from Chargemaster
Userlevel 2
I tried a rapid chargervonce, worked out about £5-6

Ectoricity are expensive, as is the Polar app-based charging, but as Ovo customers, if we are on the EV tariff, we have free Polar membership.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I run my cable over the footpath and for over two years it has worked well. Downside is that I can’t take advantage of any off peak rate

Userlevel 1
@Peetee While I appreciate your position, and know of others who have a similar arrangement of running a cable across a pavement under a domed cable strip, it is definitely not recommended, and should not be encouraged.

Local authorities should be taking more action to support EV drivers in your position in installing on-street charging points that you can use without having to run cables across pavements.
Anyone have experience of the Ubitricity lamp-post charging system?

Are OVO involved in the mobile electricity contract for the Ubitricity Smart Cable bundle for the scheme in Wandsworth, London?

If so is there any advantage from a billing or price perspective if I also had an OVO domestic contract?
Userlevel 3
Badge
@Peetee While I appreciate your position, and know of others who have a similar arrangement of running a cable across a pavement under a domed cable strip, it is definitely not recommended, and should not be encouraged.

Local authorities should be taking more action to support EV drivers in your position in installing on-street charging points that you can use without having to run cables across pavements.

Well The Mayor of Bedford announced a few months ago that Chargemaster had agreed to supply 300 chargepoints across the borough free of cost to the ratepayers.
I don’t know if that was just wishful thinking by the Mayor but the fact is that I have not noticed any new Chargemater charging points, certainly they haven’t appeared on Zap-Map.
As it happens I am waiting delivery of a KonaEV and given that it has a proven Summer range of 300 miles and my mileage is very low I will be happy to one day find a rapid Chargemaster point within a mile or two and the present cable arrangement will be history.