Solved

Can I have an OVO smart charger installed if I don’t have off-street parking?

• 6 January 2020
  • 8 replies

Can I have an OVO smart charger installed if I don’t have off-street parking?

I’d be charging my EV by running the cable over a pavement under a conduit.

icon

Best answer by Ash_OVO 7 January 2020, 12:46

Hello @AndyWells , 

To have the Smart+ charger as part of the EV Everywhere tariff, you would need to be eligible for the OLEV grant and a requirement of the grant is that you have off-street parking.

If you wish to know more about the OLEV grant, please see this link

You may be eligible for help with on-street charging under the On-street Residential Chargepoint Scheme (ORCS), for more information about this, please see this link

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello @AndyWells , 

To have the Smart+ charger as part of the EV Everywhere tariff, you would need to be eligible for the OLEV grant and a requirement of the grant is that you have off-street parking.

If you wish to know more about the OLEV grant, please see this link

You may be eligible for help with on-street charging under the On-street Residential Chargepoint Scheme (ORCS), for more information about this, please see this link

Ash, thanks for the prompt response.

Could I have the charger if I was prepared to pay for the full cost of it myself and still have the ev everywhere tariff?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello @AndyWells , 

If you were buying the charger you wouldn’t benefit from having the Smart Charger option selected on the EV tariff, however, you may benefit from the other option on this tariff, which is Polar Plus Membership, more details here

If you were looking to pay for the Smart+ charger separately, it would be down to the installer ‘ChargedEV’ to confirm if installation with no off-street parking is available. You can reach them on ‘0330 043 1851’ or you can get more information by visiting their website

If you have any further questions, please let me know and I will get back to you! :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks for raising this issue @AndyWells 

My LPA (Local Planning Authority) is starting to evaluate this sort of situation. Rather than wait for citizens to be applying for cable-ducts and the suchlike, they are discussing what they’d like to promote as “best practice”.

Both my Borough and County Councils have passed Emergency Motions for combating Climate Change. It’s not just a question of what they intend doing themselves, but how they want to facilitate actions that the local population would like to undertake. The point of the Climate Emergency motion is to ensure that there’s as few administrative hurdles as possible if we want to make changes.

Having charger feeds coming back from properties across pavements and verges actually has another negative effect…. it means that there will be phase-imbalances created at local substations. These imbalances now account for about 5% of the losses on the electricity Distribution Grid - which goes completely counter to the Climate Change argument!

So we need to consider some alternatives.

One possibility is to install kerbside fast-chargers with 3-phase supplies. Being 3-phase means there’s no phase-imbalances being created, so no increase in losses.

Community-owned 3-Phase fast chargers sited next to existing lamp-posts could use the existing cable duct to supply them, meaning that we don’t need to dig up lots of tarmac either!

We then need a device like a Pre-payment meter inbuilt to the charger. Residents on that road simply swipe their card when they connect their EV to the charger, and this automatically assigns the power-usage to their account.

So, my next obvious question is this…

What is your local Council doing about EV Charging?

Transparent, thanks for your input, please excuse my ignorance, but presumably I don't have a three phase supply at home. I don't understand how running a cable a short distance over a pavement is any different to running the same said cable over a driveway, the cable is still the same length, maybe you could explain for me. 

My local council have so far failed to communicate with me despite two emails and a phone call. I'm not holding out much hope on getting anywhere on them installing a lamp post charger.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

There are several reasons why a local authority may raise objections to members of the public running electric cables across pavements. The opportunity for failure is obviously increased if such a cable is subjected to wear by human traffic stepping on it. Even a cable in top condition is still a trip hazard.

Councils have a statutory requirement to ensure safety of the public using roads and pavements which they have “adopted”.

However, most Councils are keen to encourage initiatives which help to combat Climate Change. So a blanket ban on charging EVs at the kerbside isn’t in anyone’s interest.

If you’re getting no sensible response from your Council(s), have you tried a letter to the local newspaper or writing to your MP?

Some councils seem to be on board with the idea of charging your car over a pavement

https://www.hants.gov.uk/transport/ev-charging-points/ev-charging-guidance

I'm still trying to get confirmation from my council that it is ok to charge across a pavement. I'll keep pursuing this route for the time being.

The ev charger companies seen reluctant to install chargers, outside of the remit of the olev grant, even if you are happy to pay for the full cost yourself.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks @AndyWells - That’s a helpful and enlightened approach from Hampshire. :slight_smile:

I’m going to forward that page link to my County Councillor.

I understand from conversations with my own MP that the Government would like to encourage similar positive responses from other Councils whilst grants, permits and liabilities are being sorted out.

Any Council that digs its heels in and makes it difficult for citizens wanting to help alleviate Climate Change are likely find MPs “leaning on them” to rethink their stance. There are now very few MPs of any party who wouldn’t support Climate Change initiatives.

Let us know of any response from your local Council (District or County), and please complete your Forum Profile so we know a bit more about you!

Thanks.