The Warm Home Discount application window is now open!

Userlevel 6
  • Community Moderator
  • 493 replies

It’s come round very quickly, but the good news is that the Warm Home Discount application window is open! You can find the application form here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/warm-home-discount.

As a reminder, the Warm Home Discount is a government run scheme that provides a one-off payment of £140 towards energy bills to help customers keep warm over winter.

Broader Group customers will need to apply to receive the rebate. You can find the eligibility criteria here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/payments-and-statements/payments/am-i-eligible-for-the-warm-home-discount.html. Please be aware the rebate fund is limited to the OVO market share. Therefore, we will be offering rebates to 24,000 customers on a first come first serve basis.

Core Group customer do not need to apply. You will be notified of your eligibility by The Department of Work and Pensions, they'll send you a letter to confirm. Just remember you must be in receipt of the Guaranteed Element of Pension credit and be on supply with OVO on the 09/07/2017 to receive the rebate.

If you are successful in your application we will advise you and apply the rebate within 6 weeks of receiving your application.

We may ask some of you for additional evidence. This is a process that we’re told to follow by the industry regulator OFGEM in order to double check that you meet the eligibility criteria. It's nothing to worry about, and if it is something we require from you, we will let you know in plenty of time.

Hopefully that answers most of your Warm Home Discount questions. If you have any others, get posting below. We'd love to hear from anyone that's received this discount before, what was your experience, how did it help you etc.

Leave your comments below!

20 replies

I'm struggling to apply ,for some reason it says no matching records for my account number ,ive typed it in exact like it says on my online account on the same as it's printed on letters,very frustrating.
Userlevel 2
If I were you I'd double check all your info on my ovo, then give them a ring. I was having the same problem but when I rang I was told the billing address they had on file (which is what your account number has to match on the WHD form) was actually the address I moved from two years ago! If you go into your my ovo and check what address they have, I think it's under a tab called something like 'profile' and go down the page - it's not the address they are supplying to, it's the billing address. They changed mine while I was on the phone, it took about half an hour to update on my ovo but I was then able to apply for the WHD.
Userlevel 1
I'm having the same issue and I have double checked on my ovo. It asks for my OVO account number which is shown as OVO-###### on my ovo. I have tried this several ways including leaving the OVO- off and just entering the 6 digits but still says it doesnt recognise my account number?
Userlevel 7
shannadelfie wrote:

I'm having the same issue and I have double checked on my ovo. It asks for my OVO account number which is shown as OVO-###### on my ovo. I have tried this several ways including leaving the OVO- off and just entering the 6 digits but still says it doesnt recognise my account number?

hi @shannadelfie it should only be the numbers for your account number. If you're still having issues it could be worth reaching out to the administers (charis grants if same as last year). I recall leaving the account number section blank the first year I applied as I didn't have it to hand but the form has changed and it may not allow this.

@Lucy_OVO is it still managed by charis grants? If so could you provide the helpline number for others who may need to contact them directly please

Those applying to the broader group, a heads up - if in receipt of benefit it would be worth contacting the benefit department and ask for proof of benefit to be sent to you - this way you will have the additional evidence requested from the administers of the WHD (I've been "selected at random" the last two years to provide this proof but wasn't given a great deal of time to gather the evidence)
Userlevel 2
If this is the first time you've tried (or you've tried it ten times in five minutes) then I would leave it half hour, try again, and if you're still getting the same message then phone them. When I spoke to them (this morning) they said maybe it was because so many people were trying to do it at the same time and the system couldn't handle it.
However, with it being first come first served, you don't want to leave it and try in a week because you might have missed out by then! Couldn't hurt to get a screenshot of the page with your postcode and account number and the message saying they don't match their records either, so you can be absolutely clear what info you've provided when you're on the phone.
Good luck!
Userlevel 2
Just had another thought - 6 digits? I think its seven - all numbers, no letters.
Userlevel 1
Thanks everyone. I have done it now. I only had to enter 4 digits. The first two digits were zeros so i omitted them and it worked.
Userlevel 2
Glad it's sorted - now just keep your fingers crossed that the checks go okay and you get the email saying they're giving you it! Think it said they let you know one way or the other in five working days.
We had the WHD with British Gas and also E.ON as part of the "broader" group. Applied to OVO and have been rejected with "Sorry, your Warm Home Discount application didn't meet the requirements set by the industry regulator OFGEM."

Double checked the OVO site and we definitely meet the criteria. However it's perhaps unclear whose name should be on the application?
The account holder only?
Or should it be my partner who is disabled and is the one in the household in receipt of the qualifying benefits? Anyway I applied again using his name and am awaiting the outcome.
Is this correct? Or should I re-apply using my name since I am the account holder?

Incidentally I was pre-registered. I received the WHD application reminder a day after I received the rejection.

Thanks,
Userlevel 2
Strange, because the questions ask things like "Are you or your partner in receipt of disability benefits or registered disabled" so surely it shouldn't matter which name is in the account? My only thought is that (I think) to qualify under the broader group you have to have a total household under £16K and something AND one of the other criteria, which include the disability criteria, so were you definitely under that limit as well? If you check it out and still can't make sense of it, I'd ring them with your documents in front of you and ask them to take you through it.
I was pre-registered but still haven't had the email to say it's open!
As an OAP I get a winter fuel allowance from the government,

I actually do use the allowance for fuel (as opposed to Xmas presents)

My question to OVO is there some way I can I deposit this allowance into my account, so that I have a decent credit balance and don't have to worry about DD debits being messed around with?
Userlevel 7
Pleased to say, I applied and have just received an email to say I am successful for the WHD and it will be on my meter within 6 weeks.

Epic thank you OVO!
Mattj3135 wrote:

Pleased to say, I applied and have just received an email to say I am successful for the WHD and it will be on my meter within 6 weeks.

Epic thank you OVO!

How long did it take to get your email? I re-applied on the 12th in my partner's name as benefit recipient, but I haven't heard anything yet. The prior rejection that was in my name as account holder was within 24 hours.
Thanks,
Userlevel 2
I got the same email this morning, saying it would be paid within six weeks. I applied on Friday (13th!) and the email was in my inbox this morning (17th), but we qualified under several of the broader group categories (low income + children + disability + child with disability), so not sure which one it was done under. The initial form did say you'll hear either way within five working days, but maybe they don't count the day you applied, so my advice would be that if you still haven't heard by Friday morning then give them a ring and explain you've waited the five working days but still haven't had an email - fingers crossed you will have heard by then anyway though. (My email came from the 'hello@' email account, which my email bundled in with other emails from ovo including statements etc, but do double check your spam/junk folder before you ring!)
Good luck!
😊
AbstractLucas wrote:

If I were you I'd double check all your info on my ovo, then give them a ring. I was having the same problem but when I rang I was told the billing address they had on file (which is what your account number has to match on the WHD form) was actually the address I moved from two years ago! If you go into your my ovo and check what address they have, I think it's under a tab called something like 'profile' and go down the page - it's not the address they are supplying to, it's the billing address. They changed mine while I was on the phone, it took about half an hour to update on my ovo but I was then able to apply for the WHD.

I switched to ovo at my current address,sure i read somewhere the account has 7 numbers ,mine only has 6 with ovo- in front .I've tried it without the ovo-,typed in upper case ,lower case ,stil not recognising my account.I suppose it might be best to ring them as you suggest.
Anyone from OVO got an answer?
Userlevel 5
Not just open. I applied last week and got my letter today saying I have been approved and it will be on my account within 6 weeks. Wtg ovo!!!
Userlevel 7
catch22 wrote:

As an OAP I get a winter fuel allowance from the government,

I actually do use the allowance for fuel (as opposed to Xmas presents)

My question to OVO is there some way I can I deposit this allowance into my account, so that I have a decent credit balance and don't have to worry about DD debits being messed around with?

@AbstractLucas @stateofit able to help @catch22 on this?

Tim
Userlevel 2
Hi @catch22, is your winter fuel allowance paid directly into your bank account? From what I can see, that is how its usually done, and the government wouldn't pay it into your Ovo account I'm afraid. What you could do is once you've actually been paid it, give Ovo a ring on 0800 5999 440 if you're a pay monthly customer or 0800 358 3523 if you pay and go, and ask them how to go about making a one off additional payment to your Ovo account direct from your bank account. If you do online banking you would probably be able to do a one off transfer using that, which would then either reduce your monthly payments for the next 12 months or else be used against your next quarterly bill, in which case the next bill would be reduced by the amount of the allowance. If you don't do online banking then you could make a one off payment from your bank account to Ovo over the phone using your debit card or else perhaps by visiting your local bank branch if the Ovo team could give you the necessary account information for you to take in with you.
I completely understand your inclination to use your Winter Fuel Allowance to top up your energy payments, as the security that credit balance gives can make a big difference. Personally I pay the same amount on a monthly DD all through the year, which means that at about this time of year I have a healthy amount in credit, which then gets used up over the first couple of months the heating is on. I then build up a bit of a deficit for a couple of months, and once the heating is back off again I pay off the deficit, draw level then start to build up credit on the account again. This used to cause problems with Ovo as as soon I was over about £100 in credit they would reduce my DD, which would mean I didn't build up the credit to see me through the start of the cold weather, and six months later they would increase my DD (to more than it had been in the first place) to pay off the deficit I was building up! When I opened a new account because I moved house however, I spoke to them on the phone and explained that with a large draughty Victorian house I needed to keep my payments steady throughout the year because it's so expensive to heat through the winter, and they haven't messed around with it since, even when my credit balance is very healthy!
Hope that helps!
Lucas

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)
    Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close