Solved

Statements showing wildly incorrect figures for same period last year.

Userlevel 1
Every statement shows on page 2 the electricity and gas kWh I've used "for this bill period" (apparently correctly) and "compared to the same period last year" (often totally incorrectly). For example, the most recent one shows (for the same period last year) electricity 210kWh and gas 1388kWh, whereas the true figures were electricity 215kWh and gas 434kWh, so this time the electricity is not far off but the gas is out by a factor of more than 3. The meter reading dates were exactly the same each year, because I'm on a smart meter (and have been for 3 years).

These errors vary from month to month, and sometimes affect electricity as well as gas. I've been exchanging emails with OVO about this issue for around 2½ years(!), getting responses from a different agent every time, ranging from not understanding the question to understanding it but blaming IT problems. The latest response from Sally Golder on 6 April 2017 said "The issue affecting the 'compared to the same period last year' field in the yearly comparison on your statement is an ongoing issue that is currently being investigated by our technology department. However I can confirm the 'for this bill period you have used' field is accurate, as are your charges.".

Clearly there is a serious bug in OVO's software affecting what should be a very simple calculation, and I fail to understand why this still hasn't been corrected after such a long time. If it really does affect only the yearly comparison then it is not material to what I'm paying, just a massive annoyance, but it's getting to the point where I'm losing confidence in OVO's ability to calculate anything correctly. If this is not sorted out before I next need to renew my contract in December, I shall certainly look elsewhere.
icon

Best answer by RichardP 13 October 2017, 17:01

For the benefit of anyone else interested in this topic, I'm copying in part of the reply I received by private message from Lucy_OVO: "The response I got from our Tech guys were that they’re aware of this but they haven’t got a fix for it yet. It will only be affecting this part of the statement and all reflections of your usage for the month (for the period that you’re being billed), your unit rates and your standing charge - all this information will be correct".

This is rather disappointing, particularly given the length of time since I first raised it with OVO. I'm inclined to conclude that the 'Tech guys' have no intention of fixing this serious bug in what should be a simple calculation.

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 2
Hello

I have the same problem, as you mention its the section on page 2 of the monthly statement entitled "compared to the same period last year". The figures quoted under this part of the statement seem random and do not relate to what has actually been used. I keep a detailed spreadsheet of the readings and all my previous bills and this comparative figure is never correct.

An example of mine from my Sept 2017 bill

Comparative figures given from 2016 and the actual figures for this time in brackets:-

Electricity 159 kWh (Actual 300 kWh)
Gas 149 kWh (Actual 267 kWh)

I reported this to Ovo on 5th August 2016 and received the following reply:-

After having a look over the statements you used examples of, I can confirm they are incorrect. I am sorry about this. You have provided meter readings quite consistently so there is no room for estimation causing it.

I will query this with my billing team and ask how the process works and how they pull this data. I am aware its something we are not perfect at for the time being.

I did not get any further replies and the problem has never been resolved.

Although this is the most obvious flaw in Ovo's monthly statements, I think that the statements overall are very poor compared to the rest of the service I receive from Ovo (which I am happy with). The statements are overly complex and should be completely rewritten. The main things I want to see are:-

How much energy I have used
(and an accurate measure of how this compares to the previous year)
How much they have billed me
What is my account balance
Am I on their lowest cost tariff

The rest is mostly waffle that should be removed or at least put at the end of the statement.

Lets hope they read this and can do something about it.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hey @RichardP and @Phil_H,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I don’t know if both of your experiences are isolated, or it this is part of a wider issue, so I’d like to look into this further for you.

If you’d like me to, get in touch with us via Facebook or Twitter - these are our best online contact channels for account specific issues.

Thanks,
Lucy
Userlevel 1
For the benefit of anyone else interested in this topic, I'm copying in part of the reply I received by private message from Lucy_OVO: "The response I got from our Tech guys were that they’re aware of this but they haven’t got a fix for it yet. It will only be affecting this part of the statement and all reflections of your usage for the month (for the period that you’re being billed), your unit rates and your standing charge - all this information will be correct".

This is rather disappointing, particularly given the length of time since I first raised it with OVO. I'm inclined to conclude that the 'Tech guys' have no intention of fixing this serious bug in what should be a simple calculation.
I've got the same issue, more of an annoyance factor than anything else.
I've got exactly the same issue too. It's been like it for as long as I can remember. Very annoying and seemingly such a simple calculation to get wrong.
There is a section on my bill which shows energy used this period compared to the same period last year. It constantly understates the usage for the same period last year by a considerable amount. I know as I have checked back on previous years bills. Has anyone else experienced this?
Userlevel 3
Badge
RonnieB. wrote:

There is a section on my bill which shows energy used this period compared to the same period last year. It constantly understates the usage for the same period last year by a considerable amount. I know as I have checked back on previous years bills. Has anyone else experienced this?

Hi @RonnieB.,

I've moved your post here where other users are discussing the same issue. Comment any further questions below!

Nancy
Userlevel 1
Last month I noticed that there is section in our monthly statement that allegedly compares our gas and electricity consumption for the current period with the same period a year before. It was completely wrong so I contacted OVO and was assured that it would be dealt with. I have just received this month's statement which has the same errors.

I keep a detailed spreadsheet of our consumption to check what I know with each month's statement from OVO. I also keep copies of each statement going back to the first month we paid for our energy supplies from OVO. Both the spreadsheet and the statements show that the OVO comparison is a work of complete fiction. OVO doesn't even use information it holds to calculate this comparison.

I haven't gone back further than last month to do the same check but I have little doubt that the comparison will be wrong each time. While it doesn't actually affect the financial elements of the statement i.e. our charges, it is profoundly worrying in that it suggests that fairly simple analyses are beyond OVO. The OVO comparison suggests that for each fuel we have used more this period than in the same period last year when in fact the opposite is true - we have used less gas and electricity.

I have again pointed this out to OVO and I look forward to receiving a sensible reply this time. However it seems to me that it should be something to share with the OVO Forum community who may not have the same background information that I have and may therefore believe such figures when they get them.

Electric TV
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hi @ElectricTV,

I've moved your post over here where you should be able to find all the information you need. If you've got any more questions, comment below!

Thanks,
Nancy
Userlevel 1
Sorry to repeated stuff that is already in the forum. I'm told that it is a section of the statement that all suppliers are required to provide by the Government but what is the point if it is completely wrong? I'm sure that the Government are expecting the figures to be correct.

So here I am being told by my fuel retailer that I have used far more gas than I did last year. I'm a little old lady of 85 and I don't keep records so I believe what I'm told on my statement. So in order to reduce my burgeoning gas consumption I turn my heating down and use it less often. I'm sure that my old woolly shawl will keep me warm but if not the Government is looking for ways to reduce pensions so if I freeze to death they'll be quite happy!
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
ElectricTV wrote:

Sorry to repeated stuff that is already in the forum. I'm told that it is a section of the statement that all suppliers are required to provide by the Government but what is the point if it is completely wrong? I'm sure that the Government are expecting the figures to be correct.

So here I am being told by my fuel retailer that I have used far more gas than I did last year. I'm a little old lady of 85 and I don't keep records so I believe what I'm told on my statement. So in order to reduce my burgeoning gas consumption I turn my heating down and use it less often. I'm sure that my old woolly shawl will keep me warm but if not the Government is looking for ways to reduce pensions so if I freeze to death they'll be quite happy!

I’d be more than happy to look into what has happened to this part of your statement for you, ElectricTV. Can you please send me a private message with your name, DoB and account number?

Lucy
Userlevel 1
Thanks Lucy but it seems to be a systemic problem not one that's related to our account. Others have made the same criticism and it seems that your tech guys are unable find an algorithm that deducts one number from another.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)
    Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close