Green Number Plates for EV's - Thoughts?

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

This was discussed under a month ago but I am unable to find a topic on here so I thought I'd start one! What are your thoughts with the government thinking about changing the colour of the number plates for EV owners and I guess Hybrids? I believe it is an excellent idea to get people to know EV's are out there and becoming high on demand.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/green-number-plates-for-clean-vehicles

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
My initial reaction was - great idea! But having thought about it, could this generate some stigma around having a white number plate?? I'm all for encouraging people to buy/drive electric cars, but perhaps not "naming and shaming" those who maybe can't afford to invest in the technology yet. Bit of a status symbol?
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Nancy_OVO wrote:

My initial reaction was - great idea! But having thought about it, could this generate some stigma around having a white number plate?? I'm all for encouraging people to buy/drive electric cars, but perhaps not "naming and shaming" those who maybe can't afford to invest in the technology yet. Bit of a status symbol?

I see where you are coming from @Nancy_OVO Luckily the value for Electric cars are coming down in price. The lowest I have seen a renault zoe is under £5k. In some ways it's a good idea and some it isn't like you said. It's just showing who is smug and who isn't about driving with zero emissions *Raises hand*
Userlevel 5
Badge
Pah! Maybe "optional green plate" could be offered to EV owners if you'd like to show off 😉

Some people are still buying second hand, let's not forget!
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Nancy_OVO wrote:

Pah! Maybe "optional green plate" could be offered to EV owners if you'd like to show off 😉

Some people are still buying second hand, let's not forget!

Both of my EV’s are second hand! I’ve never seen the interest in buying brand new cars when the value of them go down dramatically. But yes, it should be an option. Not mandatory
Userlevel 2
Daft idea if you ask me, Approximately 1 out of 12 males and 1 out of 20 women are colour blind. A person with colour-blindness has trouble seeing red, green, blue, or mixtures of these colours. The most common type is red-green colour-blindness, where red and green are seen as the same colour.

Still at least having a red-green number plate will throw a spanner in the works 😆

Now if we're talking coloured plates why not give new drivers pink plates, they won't be so quick to show off then .

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings