Solved

Why do you send an engineer to read my smart meter?


Userlevel 1
Why do you need to send someone around to read a smart meter ?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 7 May 2017, 13:46

Mactronix wrote:

Why do you need to send someone around to read a smart meter ?



Right on queue, here I am @Mattj3135.

Yep this sounds like a routine visit by one of our engineers. We're obligated to read your meters at least once every 2 years. We try to visit twice a year, but with smart meter customers, we do reduce the visits a bit. The main purpose is to check that the meter is working OK, check that the details are correct and take a meter reading. If you're not in when they visit, it's no problem. They'll try again in around 6 months time.

Now I recon you won't be the only puzzled smart meter customer, wondering about these engineer visits, so I've moved the topic and changed the title so that it's easier to find for all OVO Forum users.

Hope this helps,
Tim

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Mactronix wrote:

Why do you need to send someone around to read a smart meter ?



Welcome to the forum @Mactronix, they're could be a variety of reasons leading to OVO sending one of their contractors to read people's meter - some of the possible reasons are that a) they randomly check a selection of meters to check they are communicating with the network and are functioning correctly; b) some people may not have smart meters installed; c) some meter readings are scheduled as part of the process when new meters have been installed to check they've bedded in ok.

Im sure one of the mods will clarify this for you soon!

Have a lovely weekend
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Mactronix wrote:

Why do you need to send someone around to read a smart meter ?



Right on queue, here I am @Mattj3135.

Yep this sounds like a routine visit by one of our engineers. We're obligated to read your meters at least once every 2 years. We try to visit twice a year, but with smart meter customers, we do reduce the visits a bit. The main purpose is to check that the meter is working OK, check that the details are correct and take a meter reading. If you're not in when they visit, it's no problem. They'll try again in around 6 months time.

Now I recon you won't be the only puzzled smart meter customer, wondering about these engineer visits, so I've moved the topic and changed the title so that it's easier to find for all OVO Forum users.

Hope this helps,
Tim
I'd been considering whether to have a so called Smartmeter fitted after several invitations to do so. The reason I haven't taken up the offer is because I find the present situation of taking two minutes to respond to a monthly email request for readings to be perfectly adequate. Also, the idea that a Smartmeter is going to save me money is a nonsense because we've long since reduced the frugality of our energy usage to a minimum and Smartmeter, or not, you pay for every therm you use.

But the real clincher that put a Smartmeter out of the question for me was the documentary I watched recently which highlighted the problems some people were having with grossly inaccurate readings and bills, with those affected wishing they'd never bothered.

Another serious flaw is that if you change suppliers, chances are your Smartemeter won't work with your new provider, who will most likely have to replace it with one suitable for their system. Too much of a potential headache? I think so!

A representative defending the meters claimed that complaints were minimal but that's a fat lot of good if you're one of the few, which I don't intend to be.

Add to this the OP's experience here and it adds up to a lot of hassle I have no intention of risking, thanks. The other reassuring fact gleaned from the documentary is that Smartmeters are voluntary, so there's no compulsion for you to have one.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Kitchen Foyle wrote:

I'd been considering whether to have a so called Smartmeter fitted after several invitations to do so. The reason I haven't taken up the offer is because I find the present situation of taking two minutes to respond to a monthly email request for readings to be perfectly adequate. Also, the idea that a Smartmeter is going to save me money is a nonsense because we've long since reduced the frugality of our energy usage to a minimum and Smartmeter, or not, you pay for every therm you use.

But the real clincher that put a Smartmeter out of the question for me was the documentary I watched recently which highlighted the problems some people were having with grossly inaccurate readings and bills, with those affected wishing they'd never bothered.

Another serious flaw is that if you change suppliers, chances are your Smartemeter won't work with your new provider, who will most likely have to replace it with one suitable for their system. Too much of a potential headache? I think so!

A representative defending the meters claimed that complaints were minimal but that's a fat lot of good if you're one of the few, which I don't intend to be.

Add to this the OP's experience here and it adds up to a lot of hassle I have no intention of risking, thanks. The other reassuring fact gleaned from the documentary is that Smartmeters are voluntary, so there's no compulsion for you to have one.



Hi @Kitchen Foyle welcome and thanks for posting, you've raised a great point.

if you personally don't want a smart meter then as you say you don't have to have one. If I where you I'd wait for the industry to agree the standardised technology before having them installed as you're happy submitting meter readings.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Kitchen Foyle wrote:

I'd been considering whether to have a so called Smartmeter fitted after several invitations to do so. The reason I haven't taken up the offer is because I find the present situation of taking two minutes to respond to a monthly email request for readings to be perfectly adequate. Also, the idea that a Smartmeter is going to save me money is a nonsense because we've long since reduced the frugality of our energy usage to a minimum and Smartmeter, or not, you pay for every therm you use.

But the real clincher that put a Smartmeter out of the question for me was the documentary I watched recently which highlighted the problems some people were having with grossly inaccurate readings and bills, with those affected wishing they'd never bothered.

Another serious flaw is that if you change suppliers, chances are your Smartemeter won't work with your new provider, who will most likely have to replace it with one suitable for their system. Too much of a potential headache? I think so!

A representative defending the meters claimed that complaints were minimal but that's a fat lot of good if you're one of the few, which I don't intend to be.

Add to this the OP's experience here and it adds up to a lot of hassle I have no intention of risking, thanks. The other reassuring fact gleaned from the documentary is that Smartmeters are voluntary, so there's no compulsion for you to have one.



Hey @Kitchen Foyle - I agree with @Mattj3135 - you’ve raised some very topical points.

What you’ve mentioned about the trouble with switching suppliers if you have smart meter installed is partially true as it will depend on what system/technology the supplier you’re switching to is using to communicate with your smart meters. If it’s the same as ours, it will work. The good news with this is that we’re currently working on newer version of smart meters which should be compatible with all suppliers, but a release date is to be confirmed. We’ve got a topic going on about this here: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/all-about-energy-24/smart-meters-smets1-or-smet2-106.

As we’re able to remotely communicate with smart meters to get readings, this improves the accuracy of billing and ensures we’re billing customers to actual consumption not estimates.

Thanks again for raising these points - great to get a discussion going on!

Lucy
If you have a smart meter and it sends you the readings then why did i have someone at my door to read the meter ??? I am wondering if it was a scammer or not plz reply asap

Lisejo
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Elizabeth wrote:

If you have a smart meter and it sends you the readings then why did i have someone at my door to read the meter ??? I am wondering if it was a scammer or not plz reply asap

Lisejo



Hi @Elizabeth welcome to the forum and thanks for posting - sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

There's a topic on this which will help answer your query which you can find here: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/all-about-ovo-23/why-do-you-send-an-engineer-to-read-my-meter-272/index1.html

Hope this helps
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Elizabeth wrote:

If you have a smart meter and it sends you the readings then why did i have someone at my door to read the meter ??? I am wondering if it was a scammer or not plz reply asap

Lisejo



Hey @Elizabeth

As @Mattj3135 suggested, this is the best place for you to find an answer to your query which is why I've put your question in here.

Hope this helps,
Emma
A man read my gas meter (smart meter) yesterday, but he wasn't wearing a uniform or driving a liveried van. He said he used his own car. Was he genuine ?
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
alan b wrote:

A man read my gas meter (smart meter) yesterday, but he wasn't wearing a uniform or driving a liveried van. He said he used his own car. Was he genuine ?



Hi @alan b the engineer should have shown you some identification to show which company he is working for as ovo contract the meter readings out to another company.

Knowing the readers I've had round it is highly likely a genuine visitor. However if you'd like confirmation of this contact ovo customer care team who can check the last meter reading on the system.
Hope this helps
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
alan b wrote:

A man read my gas meter (smart meter) yesterday, but he wasn't wearing a uniform or driving a liveried van. He said he used his own car. Was he genuine ?



Hi @alan b

I'm just here to repeat @Mattj3135 - any engineer visiting your house should have ID on them. We use a company called Lowri Beck. If you want me to check if they sent an engineer our recently, send me a PM with your account number, name and DoB.

Just to add, I've moved your query to another topic on the same issue so it's all in the same place!

Tim

Reply

    • :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)
    Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close