World Environment Day - share your tips and tricks

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Did you know, just by being an OVO customer you're already using a minimum of 33% renewable energy, compared to the average household, at just 15% renewable.

As it’s World Environment Day, we'd like to know if you have any tips, tricks and hacks up your sleeve? Let us know! It could even be stuff like:

12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
So @Emma_G @Smiter @Mattj3135 @Aadil @Steve587 - any of you guys commute on a tandem, or do you have other methods of being green? As it's World Environment Day, let's get sharing! 😃
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
So I don't really have any tips that I haven't shared on the Top Tip Tuesday forum discussion,

- have you got yourself the free water saving devices?

- do you recycle your household waste? I am fortunate to have excellent facilities where 95% of my waste is recycled.

- being with OVO knowing 33% of electricity from green sources

- maintaining local community grounds to enable wildlife to flourish - planting a couple of trees for good measure at the same time

- when having the heating on turning the thermostat down by 2 degrees makes the world of difference

- turning electrics off at the switch when not in use

- donating usable second hand clothing to charity

I'd love to hear any tips I'm not following 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
So I don't really have any tips that I haven't shared on the Top Tip Tuesday forum discussion,

- have you got yourself the free water saving devices?

- do you recycle your household waste? I am fortunate to have excellent facilities where 95% of my waste is recycled.

- being with OVO knowing 33% of electricity from green sources

- maintaining local community grounds to enable wildlife to flourish - planting a couple of trees for good measure at the same time

- when having the heating on turning the thermostat down by 2 degrees makes the world of difference

- turning electrics off at the switch when not in use

- donating usable second hand clothing to charity

I'd love to hear any tips I'm not following :)

Great advice here @Mattj3135 - 95% of your waste recycled: good going! You've mentioned a whole range of actions to take here. I get the impression you try to make small changes wherever you can - maybe that's the trick. What do you think @Gary @Pete632 @Gampopa @B4xsy @Yorick :?

Tim
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Definitely, small steps is best. Big gestures are usually out of reach of most folk, like solar or wind etc. Little things all add up
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Definitely, small steps is best. Big gestures are usually out of reach of most folk, like solar or wind etc. Little things all add up

What's your top 3, @Aadil :? I always use the leftover boiled water from my kettle to soak whatever's in the sink. I've heard that you shouldn't reboil water for hot drinks so I'd rather use it whilst it's hot! 😉

What are we thinking @Maurice @len salisbury @Himmm @pjl286 :?
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Oooh, yeah only boil what you need. If nothing else you'll get your brew faster!

Turn off unused electrical items if you can. Try to avoid standby.

Unplug chargers when not in use!

Get a fridge thermometer so you can set your fridge too correct temp and avoid wasteful energy usage.
This is a good one, @Tim_OVO

I think everyone should grow their own vegetables! My garden isn't big, nor green - but I've got enough potatoes growing in bags to feed the whole of Bristol! Not to mention the carrots, leeks and purple sprouting broccoli I've got growing in my conservatory.

It doesn't have to take up a lot of space, but saves you money in the long run, provides satisfaction, a hobby and helps the environment - it's a no brainer!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Small steps are good - outdoors, max out on rainwater buts to save using the tap for watering the garden. Indoors, look where your biggest costs are. For most of us that's heating the house in the winter. Top up your insulation, and turn down your room thermostat - you can always use the boost button for an hour or two if you're feeling particularly chilly.

Some of the bigger projects are getting cheaper all the time, too. We fitted 4kWp of solar panels in January for only £4,500, and it should pay for itself in 10 years.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Do OVO recycle their old prepayment meters when fitting smart meters? @Emma_OVO

Loving the tips above too
Userlevel 2
Badge
When the children are not around, I leave the oven door open a little when finished cooking to help warm the house rather than let it waste
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Do OVO recycle their old prepayment meters when fitting smart meters? @Emma_OVO

Loving the tips above too

We use 'meter operators' (mainly Lowri Beck) to exchange the meters of our customers, @Mattj3135- I believe they will reuse meters in good shape as part of the recertifcation process though.

When the children are not around, I leave the oven door open a little when finished cooking to help warm the house rather than let it waste

@Gary I do this every time anyone uses the oven in my house. I thought it was just me though! 😉
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
It's nearly another World Environment Day, 6th June!

It's a topical subject, at least in the houses of parliament, after they announced a climate emergency

What do our two green fingered super users @SianiAnni and @ITGeek123 think about the extinction rebellion movement?