Solved

Why has renewable green energy in OVO's fuel mix decreased?

• 8 January 2019
  • 1 reply

After spending some time browsing the web I came across the UK fuel mix site (electricityinfo.org) which shows the fuel mix for all the main energy companies in the UK and also interestingly the history over the last 10 years. What I find interesting is for 2018 was OVO's fuel mix was 42.9% renewable but for 2017 it shows as 64.7% renewable, i.e. renewable energy as a percentage has dropped. As the remainder in each year was natural gas, CO2 emissions actually increased from 2017 to 2018. The sources seem accurate when compared with OVO's own documents and reports so no fake news here.

I guess my question is why when renewable energy is being pushed for both in the market and by OVO, and green tariffs addons have been introduced why has renewable green energy actually decreased and what (if anything) are OVO doing to reverse this change in 2019?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 11 January 2019, 12:01

why when renewable energy is being pushed for both in the market and by OVO, and green tariffs addons have been introduced why has renewable green energy actually decreased and what (if anything) are OVO doing to reverse this change in 2019?

Great topic, @simonbkUK

This looks like our first out and out topic on OVO's fuel mix, so we're expecting the chat to continue here in 2019 - you've been warned! 😂

If our customers choose the Green Energy add-on they will get 100% renewable electricity. That's for sure!

For anyone else, we guarantee their electricity will come from at least 33% renewable sources. That's much higher then the national average!

The reason it's dropped in our fuel mix is because of wholesales costs. We do absolutely everything to get the best deal for our customers. If wholesale renewable prices are low, you better believe we're going to be buying that for our customers, passing the savings on via our latest price propositions. It's for that reason that our fuel mix for renewable was higher then 33% at times, in the previous two years.

Hopefully cheaper renewable prices will become an ongoing trend. One thing's for sure, the more people that choose our Green Energy add-on, the higher the demand, and history tells us that when demand rises, so does supply!
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
why when renewable energy is being pushed for both in the market and by OVO, and green tariffs addons have been introduced why has renewable green energy actually decreased and what (if anything) are OVO doing to reverse this change in 2019?

Great topic, @simonbkUK

This looks like our first out and out topic on OVO's fuel mix, so we're expecting the chat to continue here in 2019 - you've been warned! 😂

If our customers choose the Green Energy add-on they will get 100% renewable electricity. That's for sure!

For anyone else, we guarantee their electricity will come from at least 33% renewable sources. That's much higher then the national average!

The reason it's dropped in our fuel mix is because of wholesales costs. We do absolutely everything to get the best deal for our customers. If wholesale renewable prices are low, you better believe we're going to be buying that for our customers, passing the savings on via our latest price propositions. It's for that reason that our fuel mix for renewable was higher then 33% at times, in the previous two years.

Hopefully cheaper renewable prices will become an ongoing trend. One thing's for sure, the more people that choose our Green Energy add-on, the higher the demand, and history tells us that when demand rises, so does supply!