Solved

What is green energy?

• 25 January 2019
  • 2 replies

what is green energy
icon

Best answer by SparkySi 11 February 2019, 17:39

Green Energy is a generic term applied to energy sources considered to be renewable.

In reality it depends on your point of view.

For example. If you have two cars, one is diesel powered, the other a pure electric (BEV), the arguments would be;

A) It is no different and maybe worse than the diesel due to the fact it still needs to be built and transported to its delivery location, as per any other vehicle. In addition it uses a battery system which is heavily dependent on rare minerals and requires very damaging mining and chemical processes to create. Then you have to "Fill it" with electricity which comes from energy sources which likely wont be green at all. Therefore it cannot be a green technology.

😎 It is entirely different as the manufacturing process requires fewer materials (no engine and usually no gearbox as such), it can be lighter and use less metal and more recyclable materials. We now generate enough renewable power for a large portion of the year that fuel it uses is far cleaner than that used in an ICE vehicle. Its ongoing emissions from point of ownership are minimal and its easy for the end user to generate their own energy (from solar PV etc) so it becomes even more green.

So it depends in which camp you sit. To be truly green you should walk barefoot and with minimal clothing preferably made from woven grasses. Go from your house made of straw and cow poo to the place where you will farm your own food and so on. But lets be real, why would anyone want to do that?

In my opinion green energy is simply energy which is created from sources which at point of use are CO2 neutral. For me, green energy is solar PV, wind power, wave energy and those cunning devils that bought a watermill and run a village of the generation 🙂
View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
what is green energy

Love this question, @edward.hayden

I'm reaching out to or green and renewable experts on this one, they'll be able to answer better then me: @Bumblebee @SparkySi @TerryE @Davidc @jdenver @Coeur de lion

More info on OVO's Green Energy add on here!
Userlevel 1
Green Energy is a generic term applied to energy sources considered to be renewable.

In reality it depends on your point of view.

For example. If you have two cars, one is diesel powered, the other a pure electric (BEV), the arguments would be;

A) It is no different and maybe worse than the diesel due to the fact it still needs to be built and transported to its delivery location, as per any other vehicle. In addition it uses a battery system which is heavily dependent on rare minerals and requires very damaging mining and chemical processes to create. Then you have to "Fill it" with electricity which comes from energy sources which likely wont be green at all. Therefore it cannot be a green technology.

😎 It is entirely different as the manufacturing process requires fewer materials (no engine and usually no gearbox as such), it can be lighter and use less metal and more recyclable materials. We now generate enough renewable power for a large portion of the year that fuel it uses is far cleaner than that used in an ICE vehicle. Its ongoing emissions from point of ownership are minimal and its easy for the end user to generate their own energy (from solar PV etc) so it becomes even more green.

So it depends in which camp you sit. To be truly green you should walk barefoot and with minimal clothing preferably made from woven grasses. Go from your house made of straw and cow poo to the place where you will farm your own food and so on. But lets be real, why would anyone want to do that?

In my opinion green energy is simply energy which is created from sources which at point of use are CO2 neutral. For me, green energy is solar PV, wind power, wave energy and those cunning devils that bought a watermill and run a village of the generation 🙂