Solved

What are OVO's views on fracking?

• 2 August 2017
  • 4 replies

I'm not keen on fracking...particularly when I think we need to be moving away from fossil fuels.

Ovo doesn't utilise any gas that has come from fracking - I think they should boast about it a bit more...they're clearly proud of their green credentials, and at the forefront of the renewable energy game. Its Greener plan, offering 100% renewable electricity, is one of the most eco-friendly on the market and for each customer that signs up to the tariff, Ovo will plant five trees.
According to this...

https://www.aspokesmansaid.com/energy/our-reviews/content-5500/is-ovo-energy-any-good

...the company does not buy any of its energy from fracking or shale gas producers. I wonder why it doesn't promote this fact more?
icon

Best answer by Anonymous 9 August 2017, 15:32

Good question, @Lorc

We're happy to be cutting out Carbon from our fuel mix and feel we shout about this with the percentage of renewable energy in our fuel mix.

Our stance is that we want the lowest carbon energy at the best price. We have worked hard to remove coal from our own electricity fuel mix (see this announcement from October 2015 here - https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-newsroom/press-releases/2015/october/ovo-cuts-the-carbon.html) and will always support ways that end the UK's reliance on the dirtiest emitter as quickly as possible.

Gas, including fracked gas, could help us do this. But there are still a lot of unknowns with fracked gas - the quality of the gas, the methods used to extract it, the impact on the communities where it might be. Although there’s no way to track the gas from input point to you, will not buy directly from fracking or shale gas producers.

Hope this helps,
Emma
View original

4 replies

Good question, @Lorc

We're happy to be cutting out Carbon from our fuel mix and feel we shout about this with the percentage of renewable energy in our fuel mix.

Our stance is that we want the lowest carbon energy at the best price. We have worked hard to remove coal from our own electricity fuel mix (see this announcement from October 2015 here - https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-newsroom/press-releases/2015/october/ovo-cuts-the-carbon.html) and will always support ways that end the UK's reliance on the dirtiest emitter as quickly as possible.

Gas, including fracked gas, could help us do this. But there are still a lot of unknowns with fracked gas - the quality of the gas, the methods used to extract it, the impact on the communities where it might be. Although there’s no way to track the gas from input point to you, will not buy directly from fracking or shale gas producers.

Hope this helps,
Emma
This statement..

...the company does not buy any of its energy from fracking or shale gas producers

was the main reason i have chosen Ovo as my energy supplier, but the statement no longer appears at the link https://www.aspokesmansaid.com/energy/our-reviews/content-5500/is-ovo-energy-any-good - it seems to have been edited out. There is nothing on the Ovo website about fracked gas and Emma's "politician's" reply where she starts talking about electricity from carbon in response to a question about fracked gas is ringing many alarm bells. The answer to question posed by Lorc is that maybe Ovo don't make more of this is perhpas because it's no longer true.

Can I please have an unequivocal answer - does the any of the gas that Ovo supplies to my home come (directly or indirectly) from fracking? A simple yes or no would be appreciated. If yes then I'll change supplier. I obviously switched to Ovo on the basis of a statement that is no longer true? If no, can you please guarantee that you will make customers loudly aware if that changes?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @JoeJay

Let me assure you that - although there’s no way to track the gas from input point to you - we do not buy gas directly from any fracking or shale gas producers.

We don't have influence or control over the content of that review which has removed the statement you mentioned, but you've heard it from us here!

What do others think on fracking? @Emma_G @Mw2870 @Gizmo @Ste2317

Tim
That's really cognitive information to know about such a indomitable and concrete stuffs. I stolidly respect that effort and hope to keep the good work as same as always. Thank you for being so workaholic, it has server us the way we want. Indeed , grateful to you.