Swansea Tidal Lagoon - are we being held back from a more renewable future?

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
So I read yesterday that the decision has been made by the House of Commons to scrap the proposal to build the Swansea Tidal Lagoon. As someone who is all for renewable alternatives, I was pretty disappointed to hear this!

The Secretary Energy and Industrial Strategy suggested that the proposed £1.3bn project would only generate £400mil profit in its first 60 years. If it reaches its full potential, it would only provide 0.15% of the electricity we use in this country. It was even mentioned that nuclear might be a better alternative. To generate the same amount of electricity as Hinkley Point (which has so far cost £20bn), we would need 6 of these lagoons.

Personally, I’m with the opposition on this one. The shadow secretary argued that the Tidal Lagoon would be a positive step for a government with a clear vision for a more renewable future. It could create up to 2,300 jobs in Swansea, and strongly support UK industry by manufacturing most of the materials required within the UK. Hear hear!

How do we feel about this, guys? What other options do you think we should be persuing?
Find out more about the decision here.

Nancy

0 replies

Be the first to reply!