Solved

Nuclear-Free?

Would it be possible to create an electricity tariff that guarantees that all energy purchased is from renewable sources that are not only fossil-fuel-free but also NUCLEAR-free?

This would help spread the message that we don't want the government to guarantee expensive nuclear projects with taxpayers money, but instead to back projects that generate our electricity from safer sources such as wind, solar and tidal.
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 7 May 2017, 14:05

Would it be possible to create an electricity tariff that guarantees that all energy purchased is from renewable sources that are not only fossil-fuel-free but also NUCLEAR-free?

This would help spread the message that we don't want the government to guarantee expensive nuclear projects with taxpayers money, but instead to back projects that generate our electricity from safer sources such as wind, solar and tidal.

Great question, Jorge. This can be the go to topic for user queries on nuclear energy - I love it!

The great news is, the energy we buy for our 100% renewable, Greener energy customers excludes nuclear energy. OVO’s renewable electricity comes from wind, solar, geothermal, wave, tidal, hydro, biomass, landfill gas, sewage treatment gas and biogas. More info on this great tariff here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/energy-and-environment/renewable-energy/what-is-100-renewable-electricity-and-where-does-it-come-from.html.

Thanks,
Tim
View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Welcome to the forum @Jorge and thanks for posting such an interesting topic -

I would agree I'd like to see OVO offer nuclear and fossil free tariff but it may be that to do so would require a significant investment in renewable energy sources non nuclear, so I can only speculate that at this time would be neigh on impossible to do immediately however OVO could consider this with the wider feedback they receive from their customers and explore the viability and sustainability of such a tarrif.

Would be good to get others thoughts on this 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Great question, Jorge. This can be the go to topic for user queries on nuclear energy - I love it!

The great news is, the energy we buy for our 100% renewable, Greener energy customers excludes nuclear energy. OVO’s renewable electricity comes from wind, solar, geothermal, wave, tidal, hydro, biomass, landfill gas, sewage treatment gas and biogas. More info on this great tariff here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/energy-and-environment/renewable-energy/what-is-100-renewable-electricity-and-where-does-it-come-from.html.

Thanks,
Tim
Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Thanks,
Tim

Thanks Tim - can we please put forward the suggestion that if OVO offer a 100% renewable PAYG tarrif that it also excludes nuclear 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Thanks Tim - can we please put forward the suggestion that if OVO offer a 100% renewable PAYG tarrif that it also excludes nuclear :)

Consider it done, @Mattj3135 - any more feedback or suggestions, I'm all ears! How about you @Aadil?

Tim
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Ooooh....i might not be so popular and may cause some 'reaction' after this but i think we need nuclear....but in a economical and safe way. I've undertaken a lot of research into this. I used to be no nuclear but I've been won over.

We are not in a position to go fully fossil free yet or anytime soon / forseeable future. The transition will need to include nuclear to bridge the gap to renewables.

Let's hope this debate is one of fusion of ideas or maybe we split and fission off lol
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Ooooh....i might not be so popular and may cause some 'reaction' after this but i think we need nuclear....but in a economical and safe way. I've undertaken a lot of research into this. I used to be no nuclear but I've been won over.

We are not in a position to go fully fossil free yet or anytime soon / forseeable future. The transition will need to include nuclear to bridge the gap to renewables.

Let's hope this debate is one of fusion of ideas or maybe we split and fission off lol

Whilst I acknowledge that switching from a reliance on fossil fuels to renewables will require a temporary bridge (nuclear) I personally would prefer the option to choose whether nuclear is included or not in the tarrif and I would chose the one with no nuclear the ability to improve the infrastructure and do my bit for the environment is worthwhile.

As energy companies buy their fuel in advance theoretically speaking if everyone in the UK signed up to a 100% renewable deal - in a few years time - the grid would only have renewable energy within its mix, therefore it could be possible to avoid nuclear.

the cost of nuclear though- really is it worth screwing the environment for the sake of a few quid? (Probably just as costly to invest in green infrastructure as nuclear) Certainly not in my book and would be worth every penny (if OVO offer any 100% renewable PAYG tarrif that is)
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Fair points sir....you may win me round 😉
you are entitled to your views. I don't like my choices reduced by others political views. Your asking for more choices. A tariff you would like . As long as my choices are not reduced. I'm not against Nuclear. Like the green options it too will improve over time.