Solved

How to protect power supply against applying reverse voltage?

• 5 February 2019
  • 3 replies

icon

Best answer by Transparent 18 February 2019, 14:15

Hmmm - interesting question @sharma12345

I think you need to clarify a couple of points before I can answer properly:

a. is it the mains power supply which are wanting to protect, or a particular power supply unit in a piece of household equipment?

b. do you have a "reverse voltage" from an identifiable source in mind, such as the back-emf from turning off an electric motor? Or is it generally the issue of having voltage spikes which could damage mains-connected equipment in the home?

I have a large motor on a well-pump which has an inrush current of 7A+ when starting up. So it will be producing a significant back-emf at switch-off.

I also have four different locations in my home where I have installed surge-suppression components. (And no, I don't mean 4-way extension blocks with "anti-surge" written on them!).

So I can speak from experience if either of these scenarios is akin to what you wish to find out.
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I know someone who might have some advice for you @sharma12345 - @Transparent what do we think?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hmmm - interesting question @sharma12345

I think you need to clarify a couple of points before I can answer properly:

a. is it the mains power supply which are wanting to protect, or a particular power supply unit in a piece of household equipment?

b. do you have a "reverse voltage" from an identifiable source in mind, such as the back-emf from turning off an electric motor? Or is it generally the issue of having voltage spikes which could damage mains-connected equipment in the home?

I have a large motor on a well-pump which has an inrush current of 7A+ when starting up. So it will be producing a significant back-emf at switch-off.

I also have four different locations in my home where I have installed surge-suppression components. (And no, I don't mean 4-way extension blocks with "anti-surge" written on them!).

So I can speak from experience if either of these scenarios is akin to what you wish to find out.
Userlevel 2
Badge
@sharma12345, have you managed to find out the answer to this question?

If not, it'd be worth checking @Transparent's response above.

Ed

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings