Solved

How to protect power supply against applying reverse voltage?

• 5 February 2019
  • 3 replies

icon

Best answer by Transparent 18 February 2019, 14:15

Hmmm - interesting question @sharma12345

I think you need to clarify a couple of points before I can answer properly:

a. is it the mains power supply which are wanting to protect, or a particular power supply unit in a piece of household equipment?

b. do you have a "reverse voltage" from an identifiable source in mind, such as the back-emf from turning off an electric motor? Or is it generally the issue of having voltage spikes which could damage mains-connected equipment in the home?

I have a large motor on a well-pump which has an inrush current of 7A+ when starting up. So it will be producing a significant back-emf at switch-off.

I also have four different locations in my home where I have installed surge-suppression components. (And no, I don't mean 4-way extension blocks with "anti-surge" written on them!).

So I can speak from experience if either of these scenarios is akin to what you wish to find out.
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I know someone who might have some advice for you @sharma12345 - @Transparent what do we think?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hmmm - interesting question @sharma12345

I think you need to clarify a couple of points before I can answer properly:

a. is it the mains power supply which are wanting to protect, or a particular power supply unit in a piece of household equipment?

b. do you have a "reverse voltage" from an identifiable source in mind, such as the back-emf from turning off an electric motor? Or is it generally the issue of having voltage spikes which could damage mains-connected equipment in the home?

I have a large motor on a well-pump which has an inrush current of 7A+ when starting up. So it will be producing a significant back-emf at switch-off.

I also have four different locations in my home where I have installed surge-suppression components. (And no, I don't mean 4-way extension blocks with "anti-surge" written on them!).

So I can speak from experience if either of these scenarios is akin to what you wish to find out.
Userlevel 2
Badge
@sharma12345, have you managed to find out the answer to this question?

If not, it'd be worth checking @Transparent's response above.

Ed