Got storage heaters? Love or Hate?

• 7 November 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

If you’re an electric only customer, you might well use storage heaters to keep your house warm. Doing this with (at least a high % of) renewable electricity is key to OVO’s vision of a decarbonised future. So even if you have gas heating, we want to get you to start thinking about storage heaters as part of tomorrow’s home!

If you have storage heaters already, what do you think of them? Have a think about when your storage heaters were fitted - find out how old the thing really is, and how well it works… It might be costing you more due to inefficiencies! If it’s a bit old, are you happy with how the thing looks? Does it make decorating around a ‘challenge’?

What about when you turn the heating on - does the heater allow you to avoid using it when it’s peak time usage? Would you rather go cold to avoid this higher price?

We’d love to get a better understanding of this heating system, and I’m sure anyone moving into a house with them fitted would like to hear some first hand experience - leave a comment below to share!

4 replies

Userlevel 1
I don’t have any storage heaters but I have fitted quite a few. The key, as with any heating system, is the control method. Modern units have central time controllers and can even have individual room stats to stop you overheating a room.

I installed an air source heat pump in my own house and removed the gas main.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Great feedback @SparkySi!

Good to know you have fitted a few, might be able to help others here on the forum if they have questions or issues with theirs!

Be great if you could create a new topic in All About Energy, in regards to the air source heat pump you've installed. Be great to share this with other users as to why you chose it and how you find it etc!

Darran
Just moved house to small renovated cottage with Wunda underfloor heating across the ground floor. The cottage is both compact (1200 sq foot in total) and very well insulated and we only use the heating as we would have used radiators (using the room thermostats to programme and regulate heat) and turning it down to 15 degrees at night, but apparently the first electricity reading is very very high. This is our first experience of underfloor heating - are we doing anything wrong?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Just moved house to small renovated cottage with Wunda underfloor heating across the ground floor..... apparently the first electricity reading is very very high. This is our first experience of underfloor heating - are we doing anything wrong?

Thanks for this feedback @GerryV

Underfloor heating such as this will transfer heating costs to your electricity meter, and this can be costly. @SparkySi any advice for Gerry on how to minimise costs with this heating method?

Is is easy to upgrade to something more efficient?

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings