Error free switching and Project Nexus

"Energy firms botch supplier switches", read a 2014 Daily Telegraph report in 2014 detailing thousands of energy switching customers who had been overcharged as a result of legacy, computer disk based systems. Enter Project Nexus, an OFGEM run scheme to replace the aging UK Link System for administering gas payments run by xoserve. It is supposed to go live on June 1st, but the actual switch over takes place from late May 2017 to June 6th. During this time customers switching may experience delays we are warned. But will the post June 6 era really benefit from a better system? What about the system for collating electricity meter payments, does that need modernising too? Will the changes benefit those with both smart Gas and Eletricity meters? What do consumers need to know if the change over causes more problems than expected, who do they call?

If anyone's been tracking this, do jump in and comment, what does OVO have to say?

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
"Energy firms botch supplier switches", read a 2014 Daily Telegraph report in 2014 detailing thousands of energy switching customers who had been overcharged as a result of legacy, computer disk based systems. Enter Project Nexus, an OFGEM run scheme to replace the aging UK Link System for administering gas payments run by xoserve. It is supposed to go live on June 1st, but the actual switch over takes place from late May 2017 to June 6th. During this time customers switching may experience delays we are warned. But will the post June 6 era really benefit from a better system? What about the system for collating electricity meter payments, does that need modernising too? Will the changes benefit those with both smart Gas and Eletricity meters? What do consumers need to know if the change over causes more problems than expected, who do they call?

If anyone's been tracking this, do jump in and comment, what does OVO have to say?

Good to see you again @Logie and thanks for the post!

Well you certainly raise an interesting topic which I personally had the nightmare of two of the big six owing me significant refunds for being overcharged, so I am keen to hear OVO's position on this topic and what they are doing to mitigate the markets ancient infrastructure and the inherent faults within.

An interesting one hey @Tim_OVO @Lucy_OVO & @Darran_OVO

Great questions, Logie.

I can't speak for the whole of OVO but personally, I'm very excited by the introduction of Nexus.

We've already introduced this and it's not caused any delays or issues for our customers. The great thing about Nexus from an energy supplier's perspective, is we have a lot of visibility over customer's electricity transfers but gas has always been a bit of a grey area.

Nexus changes this so we can speed up the switching process and hopefully preemptively fix issues with transfers before the customer is affected. This is going to be particularly helpful with gas supplies controlled by an Independent Gas Transporter (IGT), which before could take 12-16 weeks until a first gas bill could be generated. Exciting times!

If anyone else has any thoughts on this, I'd be interested hear them.

Max
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I agree with my fellow mod @Max_OVO on this - it's a much needed improvement to the switching process. This can only help our customers, and get more people switching!

Tim
Badge
I've waiting for a gas switch to be completed since September last year. This hasn't happened yet and my account is nearly £400.00 in credit to cover this. Hopefully things will sorted out soon, BUT I'm not holding my breath.
I've waiting for a gas switch to be completed since September last year. This hasn't happened yet and my account is nearly £400.00 in credit to cover this. Hopefully things will sorted out soon, BUT I'm not holding my breath.

Hi @Peterrolfe

Thanks for getting in touch on the Forum! As Max mentioned, a gas switch can sometimes take up to 16 weeks to complete, however once this time frame has passed we'll need to start chasing for the information we need.

I imagine the team are doing this currently, but I'd like to look into what's causing this delay.

Please could you send me a PM with your full name, account number (or full address) and DoB?

Thanks,
Emily
Badge
Many thanks Peter
Badge
Electricity switch went ahead without any delays so why the problems with gas?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Electricity switch went ahead without any delays so why the problems with gas?

Hi @Peterrolfe

Yes it certainly shouldn't be taking this long. If you haven't had a recent update on this already, feel free to PM me your account number, name and DoB so I can help.

Thanks,
Tim
Badge
All sorted, a great job and a big thank you to the team
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
All sorted, a great job and a big thank you to the team

Anytime! Glad to hear that you got things ironed out. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Great work forum team 🙂 Thanks to everyone involved for helping get this sorted for @Peterrolfe.

Darran