Solved

Electricity supply problems from cables outside my house - who can I go to for help?

• 7 April 2018
  • 1 reply

I didn't know where to post this.

Over the past few weeks I've been having a problem with my electricity supply with bulbs flickering/breaking and now large appliances begining to play up.

I've contacted Electricity North West, (enwl.co.uk) on 105 to report the electricity problem and engineers have found the problem to be outside the house and probably underground. They seem to be waiting for the electricity to go completly to make the repairs so I am left in a situation of an inadequate supply.

I can't charge phones, use my PC or any expensive electrical equipment. Several bulbs have broken and other electrical equipment such as our router have started to fail.

My question is; am I able to claim a discount on my energy supply and claim replacements for the broken equipment? - if so who can I claim this discount from?
icon

Best answer by Transparent 11 April 2018, 13:12

Hi @sio,

This sounds awful!

You don't say you've contacted Electricity North West, but I'm guessing it's by telephone.

I think the situation you are in is unacceptable. I have no idea if there are possible safety issues, but I don't like the sound of "bulbs breaking". That suggests spikes/surges in the supply rather than just drop-outs.

Either way, your electricity supply is outside the parameters stipulated for domestic supplies. As such you should email a complaint so that you have a copy with a time/date stamp of when you sent it.

I've looked through their website and found downloadable PDF with the following address for complaints: ElectricityCustomerRelations@enwl.co.uk and make sure you put the word "Complaint" in the subject line and at the top of the body-text.

Give your full name and address, the name of your Electricity Supplier and dates of when you first noticed the problem etc.

You should also notify your Energy Supplier by email. Is it OVO?

Worry about compensation later.
For now, you need to get workers on-site to track down the underground fault as a matter of urgency.

Post back here to tell us what happens or to ask for any more help.
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @sio,

This sounds awful!

You don't say you've contacted Electricity North West, but I'm guessing it's by telephone.

I think the situation you are in is unacceptable. I have no idea if there are possible safety issues, but I don't like the sound of "bulbs breaking". That suggests spikes/surges in the supply rather than just drop-outs.

Either way, your electricity supply is outside the parameters stipulated for domestic supplies. As such you should email a complaint so that you have a copy with a time/date stamp of when you sent it.

I've looked through their website and found downloadable PDF with the following address for complaints: ElectricityCustomerRelations@enwl.co.uk and make sure you put the word "Complaint" in the subject line and at the top of the body-text.

Give your full name and address, the name of your Electricity Supplier and dates of when you first noticed the problem etc.

You should also notify your Energy Supplier by email. Is it OVO?

Worry about compensation later.
For now, you need to get workers on-site to track down the underground fault as a matter of urgency.

Post back here to tell us what happens or to ask for any more help.