Pinned News

Did you know your meters have certificates that can expire?

• 3 September 2019
  • 30 replies
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Meter certification may sound a bit dull, but it’s a pretty important part of making sure we’re able to measure your energy usage accurately. Here are four quick facts you need to know, especially if you’ve received a message saying your meter needs to be replaced.

1: Every meter has a certification

Your meter’s certificate is a bit like a ‘best before’ date. Most people don’t realise that their meter even has a certification, as the information isn’t always written on the meter itself.

2: Your meter’s certification can expire

Your meter’s certification can last between 10 and 40 years. As an energy supplier, we know when each meter is due to expire, so we’ll be in touch when or if yours should be replaced.

If yours does happen to be out of date, it may mean that it’s running slightly too fast or too slow and therefore might not be measuring your energy usage accurately.

3: Your replacement meter could help you use less energy and save ££

We replace expired meters with new, next-generation smart ones also known as SMETS2.

These meters:
  1. Give you more accurate bills thanks to automatic meter readings;
  2. Help you track exactly what you’re using - meaning that you could save money by using less energy;
  3. Should keep all their smart features if you switch suppliers;
  4. Upgrade the energy grid - which means it gets a whole lot smarter, and is better able to support renewable energy and smart tech like electric vehicles.
4: What will happen if I don’t have my meter replaced?

Your meter will remain perfectly safe, but it might provide inaccurate data - so you could end up paying the wrong amount.

5: What if I don’t want a smart meter?

When a meter certificate expires, we can’t recertify the existing meter - so we have to replace it. Traditional meters aren’t available in the UK as they are no longer being manufactured, which is why we will replace your expired meter with a smart one.

What happens next…

If you’ve received an email saying your meter needs to be replaced, it’s super easy to book an appointment for an all-up-to-date next generation smart meter installation. Just click here to book*.

*Subject to availability in your area (our engineers are a busy bunch!)

30 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @jojojojo01 - not for a faulty meter exchange, smart meter exchange or a re-certification :man_dancing:  

Not Unique where I live evidently

It goes back to when the houses where built before the 2nd world war. 

EDF sent someone to fit a Smart meter and he said no can’t be done without Northern networks re wiring to the house. 

So I am stuck with an Old meter and everytime OVO email me to say it is uncalibrated it doesn’t help.

Userlevel 5

I’ve moved your query here, @lippy. It sounds like this is quite a unique situation, so I’d recommend getting in touch with our team about this, they’re available on 0330 303 5063 Monday-Friday 8am-6pm. They’ll be best placed to help with this, and can hopefully come up with a solution to resolve this. 

I keep getting emails from OVO telling me my meter is out of calibration and that I need a smart meter fitting.

Great come and fit one, But before you do please read the email I sent you about the electricity supply to my house. 

When Northern Networks wanted to dig up my drive and my neighbours drive I gave up with the idea. 

So unless you have found a way of getting the supply to my house without digging up our drives then Its  No from me. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

We offer smart meter installations free of charge, @jojojojo01, you can book an install here.

Thanks!

Does it cost anything to have my meter replaced? 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Welcome to the forum, @100043521

When a meter certificate expires, we can’t recertify the existing meter - so we have to replace it. Traditional meters aren’t available in the UK as they are no longer being manufactured, which is why we will replace your expired meter with a smart one. 

We no longer have analog meters in stock. 

Hope this helps, 

I received an email today saying certificate had expired on my electricity meter and needed to be replaced by smart meter.  My understanding is that no one has to have a smart meter.

What if I don't want one?

Hi, I have just sent the photo. Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks for your help 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Technically, I think the engineer isn’t able to move the cut out (one of those black boxed on the meter board). This is the property of your local Distribution Network Operator. 

But I would recommend getting our engineer booking team to check, please forward that photo to us via email here: hello@ovoenergy.com. 

Hi Darran,dunno if you saw my post and photo from yesterday? The board the current meter is on is 30cms square; the current meter has (overall) 17cms between the top of it and the bottom; the sides would seem to be ok but if the 2 additional small boxes towards the bottom of the meter (see photo) are in the way and still needed, they will need to be moved to make space. Would your engineer be ok shuffling the small boxes around if necessary?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hey @Flit we’ve confirmed that there needs to be a gap of 8cm around all sides of the meter for us to be able install your new ones. 

Are you able to check yours? 

Hi Darren,  the current meter is fixed to the board shown which measures a shade over 30cms square. Hopefully, this he

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@DannyShterev Just an update, there are in the pipeline tech that might help in situations when our members meters are too far apart to connect properly.  Not able to share more on this right now, but keep an eye on the forum in the future for more information on this. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hey @Flit no you won’t be charged.  The engineer will simply confirm that they’re not able to complete the job and leave it at that.  As long as there is a bit of space around your current meters, you should be fine.  Feel free to share a pic here, and we can check.  

I think a new smart meter will fit in the same position as the current non-smart meter. What happens if an engineer decides that there is not enough space? Will I be charged?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Ah good to know @DannyShterev. Still getting an answer on the Smart Meter front though as to what we do for you here. Will come back to you later on that once I have more information.
Hey @Darran_OVO it was built in 2017 so I guess I don't need to worry about.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Good question @DannyShterev! I'm just checking with the team. If you live in a new build, I doubt the meter certification will have expired as they can run for up to 30 years or so before they expire. Are you living in an old building that's been renovated?
Hello,

I live in a new build flat (2 years old) my electricity meter is on the top floor, but gas meter is on the ground floor. I've been told I can't get smart meter because of the distance between the two, so what happens now? Can I get my electricity meter re-certified?
Userlevel 5
Badge
That's fine, @DamionS, give them a call as soon as you can, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to have a smart meter installed.

Thanks!
No I dont have storage heaters or underfloor heating.

I am busy this week so wont be able to ring until Monday.

Damion
Userlevel 5
Do you have storage heaters or underfloor heating, @DamionS? If you do, you won't be able to arrange a SMETS2 meter exchange but we can install a SMETS1 meter.

It may be worth giving the team a quick call about this, they can ask all the appropriate questions to get this sorted. the team are available Monday-Friday 8am-6pm on 0330 303 5063.
Economy 7, cant you get these details from my account. After all I just read the numbers I have not got any clue about meter
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Ah ok, thanks @DamionS.

Are you able to share what meter types or set up you have right now? For example, if your meters are far apart, the smart part of the meter won't work as they need to be close together to be able to connect.

Be great if you can share more, so we can look into this for you.

Darran