DC12V individual pixel digital led strip

• 21 December 2017
  • 1 reply

I have got a type of dc12v individual pixel strip,that is the dc12v gs8208 led strip,
it is dc12v ,but can use the dc12v to power the strip directly,and not hot at all,
it is very cool,can be individual controlled as the sk6812 ws2813 led strip
http://addressable-led.com/Products/gs8208-12v-individual-pixel-led-strip.html

i try to control it via the arduino and installed it on the cars.
anyone have more experience about it?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @PhilXu007,

I'm not quite sure why you're raising this question on the OVO Forum. There are better places, including the "official" Arduino community pages at https://forum.arduino.cc/

However, I'm going to respond to your question because I'd like to turn the answer towards a matter which is relevant here.

It sounds like you're new to the Arduino world, and perhaps the realm of micro-controllers in general.

I would suggest you start by buying a couple of books by a reputable author, such as Simon Monk. His "30 Arduino Projects for the Evil Genius" is highly readable. It assumes you know hardly anything about either electronics or programming!

If you prefer something that is more like a traditional self-learning text-book, then have a look at his "Programming Arduino: Getting Started with Sketches". This differs in style, but still assumes you know little.

Before you start trying to control a strip of Addressable-LEDs, I recommend you progress through turning on/off a single LED, then learn how to dim a strip with LEDs of all the same colour. Don't try to leap before you can walk. You will have to appreciate how to control an LED strip running at 12v (or 24v) from an Arduino which operates at 5v (or 3.3v for some models).

However, you are starting to explore in a direction which has a more serious application rather than just pimping your car.

Home lighting is increasingly turning to LEDs, which are even more efficient than the "energy saving" folded fluorescents" we've got used to.

Most users simply buy an LED bulb and insert it into an existing light fitting. However, these tend to run hot, which shortens the life. The inefficient electronics behind the LED emitter is the problem. A white-light LED should be able to run for 10years+ if it's kept cool.

It's much better to buy dedicated LED fittings that don't have a replaceable bulb. These are better designed with no thermal coupling between the electronics and the light-emitting elements.

However, you can also make your own LED fittings more cheaply by buying LED strips or coin-sized COB-units which can be mounted on aluminium to keep them cool. I've successfully used old aluminium mince-pie dishes for COB arrays. Look for LED strips and arrays which produce around 100-lumens per watt of power. (For comparison a typical cheap bulb might produce only 60 lumens/watt).

A typical domestic room will need 1000 to 1500 lumens, just 10-15watts. So dedicated LED fittings can seriously lower your electricity bills.

And if you then connect an Arduino controller, you can have sensors which allow you to dim the lights or turn them off automatically when you leave the room.

You'll use far less electricity and effectively have your own "Smart Home" for just a few pounds.

Hope that helps.