Channel 4 Dispatches, green energy and biomass

CHANNEL 4 DISPATCHES...Government subsidies to 'Green Energy', Drax Power Station and forest devastation in the US.
I was very shocked by the information in this programme. Drax is apparently the largest power station in this country earning billions of pounds in Government subsidies per annum for supplying 'green energy'. There was a wealth of very shocking information but the essence of it is they burn wood pellets! The CO2 emissions from this 'biomass' fuel was measured as higher than the coal it replaced by 8%. Can Ovo assure me that they do not use fuel from the Drax power station or any other that uses wood pellets as fuel in my 100% greener energy?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Muttley wrote:

Can Ovo assure me that they do not use fuel from the Drax power station or any other that uses wood pellets as fuel in my 100% greener energy?

Thanks for the post @Muttley.

I can't comment on the Drax power station or this programme by Channel 4, but we love a debate about green energy!

Our renewable electricity comes from a range of green sources including biomass, but also wind, solar, geothermal, wave, tidal, hydro, landfill gas, sewage treatment plant gas and biogas power sources. More info on our green energy can be found on this page, and more general info on our fuel mix on this page.

What do you think @Bumblebee @Transparent :?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
@Muttley good evening thank you for putting this question to the forum,

You'll be pleased to hear the following;

The electricity OVO Energy sources comes from various generators. Its two tariffs include 33% green electricity, (OVO Better Energy-previously 15% green) and 100% green electricity (Ovo Greener Energy), coming from sources including wind farms in Gloucestershire and North Wales and electricity generated from the burning of landfill gas.

Landfill gas in particular is a brilliant source of energy and being a waste product means using a gas without fracking or drilling.

I hope this answers your question, if you have any more, do please feel free to contact any of us :)

All the best, Bumblebee :)
Hi.
Thanks you both very much for your replies. Tim, you mention that OVO use 'biomass' fuels. Are you able to say what this fuel consists of? Surely OVO would know?
Many thanks
Muttley
Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close