Solved

Strange behaviour of my Smart meter after power cut - can you help?

Userlevel 1
My area had a 5 min power cut. When lights came back on, I put the kettle on. Nothing. Sockets not working. 5 mins later, the meter sprang back into life and the sockets' power returned. Why?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 26 September 2017, 16:05

Yorick wrote:

My area had a 5 min power cut. When lights came back on, I put the kettle on. Nothing. Sockets not working. 5 mins later, the meter sprang back into life and the sockets' power returned. Why?

That doesn't sound right, @Yorick

The lights and the sockets are connected to the mains power via the meter. If the lights are one, the meter will be working. I'm not sure about those sockets, but if you're in any doubt about your meter, press A, A, B on the keypad to wake it up and look at the meter display for signs of life.

Anyone else had a similar thing happen following a power cut @Emma_G @Smiter @sam_cat

This is for next time there's a power cut: https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/what-to-do-in-a-power-cut.html.

^Tim

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Yorick wrote:

That doesn't sound right, @Yorick

The lights and the sockets are connected to the mains power via the meter. If the lights are one, the meter will be working. I'm not sure about those sockets, but if you're in any doubt about your meter, press A, A, B on the keypad to wake it up and look at the meter display for signs of life.

Anyone else had a similar thing happen following a power cut @Emma_G @Smiter @sam_cat

This is for next time there's a power cut: https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/what-to-do-in-a-power-cut.html.

^Tim

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)
    Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close