Solved

Smart meter fitting - big gap between my meters

• Newbie**
  • 0 replies
My gas meter is in the garage and my electricity meter is under the stairs, will this make a difference if I opt to have a smart meter?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 3 April 2017, 10:58

RitaP wrote:

My gas meter is in the garage and my electricity meter is under the stairs, will this make a difference if I opt to have a smart meter?

Hi Rita,

The two meters might struggle to communicate if there's a big gap between them, especially with thick walls. Generally I’d say anything under 15 meters is fine, but we do have a little gadget called a 'relay' that can help with signal issues like this. I'd suggest booking it in and waiting for the engineer to advise you on site.

So that I can move this topic to an existing thread, can you tell me if you're a Pay monthly or a Pay as you go customer? That way, other users can find this query more easily.

Tim

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
RitaP wrote:

Hi Rita,

The two meters might struggle to communicate if there's a big gap between them, especially with thick walls. Generally I’d say anything under 15 meters is fine, but we do have a little gadget called a 'relay' that can help with signal issues like this. I'd suggest booking it in and waiting for the engineer to advise you on site.

So that I can move this topic to an existing thread, can you tell me if you're a Pay monthly or a Pay as you go customer? That way, other users can find this query more easily.

Tim
Hi, how do I reset my smart meter? I Had installed last year and it has been working well until two weeks ago when the gas usage stopped displaying. I contacted OVO and was asked to go through a number of steps but still no change. My gas meter is in the garage which is through the wall from my living room. I have now put a booster in the socket near the garage and signal strength is good. I am now seeing usage up to the 18th September but nothing for the past two days. Sorry this is a bit long winded but wanted to give a full picture. Is there any way to reset?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Catherine wrote:

Hi, how do I reset my smart meter? I Had installed last year and it has been working well until two weeks ago when the gas usage stopped displaying. I contacted OVO and was asked to go through a number of steps but still no change. My gas meter is in the garage which is through the wall from my living room. I have now put a booster in the socket near the garage and signal strength is good. I am now seeing usage up to the 18th September but nothing for the past two days. Sorry this is a bit long winded but wanted to give a full picture. Is there any way to reset?

Hi @Catherine

I've moved your topic to another on gas smart meter communication issues. It sounds like that booster (relay) did allow the two meters to link up. As you've lost your usage info since the 18th, try moving that relay closer to the electricity meter, or the gas meter. Look online to see if this has worked and let us all know!

Tim
Thanks for the reply, the signal strength on the booster is strong and is close to the gas meter. The electric meter is working fine. It seems a bit strange that the gas meter just suddenly stopped working. Is there anything else I can do.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Catherine wrote:

Thanks for the reply, the signal strength on the booster is strong and is close to the gas meter. The electric meter is working fine. It seems a bit strange that the gas meter just suddenly stopped working. Is there anything else I can do.

Yeah it does. If the signal on your booster is strong, this should mean that we’re able to communicate with your smart meter, so I don't quite know what’s happening here.

I imagine you’ve already completed a Meter Health Check. So that I can look into the results of this, can you PM your name, DoB and OVO account number?

Lucy

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)
    Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close