Solved

My smart meter is making a funny noise - What should I do?

I had a gas & electric smart meter fitted about 3 weeks ago.
Since then my outside gas meter makes a really loud noise every time the gas switches on, surely this can't be correct.
icon

Best answer by Emily_OVO 31 May 2017, 11:39

Vonnian wrote:

Since then my outside gas meter makes a really loud noise every time the gas switches on, surely this can't be correct.

Hi @Vonnian,

Some noise from your gas meter is considered normal, however if this is particularly loud, I think it's best to look into it a little further.

Firstly, we need to see if it's coming from the meter itself or the regulator (this is a cone shaped object that sits on top of your gas meter). It'd be great if you could check this for me.

It's possible that we'll need to exchange the gas smart meter, but if you send a private message with your full name, OVO account number, DoB and information on where the noise is coming from - I'll query this with our Smart team.

Thanks,
Emily

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Vonnian wrote:

Hi @Vonnian welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

From what you've said it sound familiar to issues I've seen raised elsewhere with their new smart meters making a noise - I am told it's the valve making the noise which isn't an issue and will overtime stop making this noise! If it still makes noise in a month it would be worth following up.

@Emily_OVO I'm not sure where I saw this info - am I correct in my thinking here?
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Vonnian wrote:

Hi @Vonnian,

Some noise from your gas meter is considered normal, however if this is particularly loud, I think it's best to look into it a little further.

Firstly, we need to see if it's coming from the meter itself or the regulator (this is a cone shaped object that sits on top of your gas meter). It'd be great if you could check this for me.

It's possible that we'll need to exchange the gas smart meter, but if you send a private message with your full name, OVO account number, DoB and information on where the noise is coming from - I'll query this with our Smart team.

Thanks,
Emily
It is coming from the regulator every time the gas is fired up. It is very loud.
Can you tell me how to send a private message please.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Vonnian wrote:

It is coming from the regulator every time the gas is fired up. It is very loud.
Can you tell me how to send a private message please.

Hi @Vonnian,

I've just sent you a private message.

Thanks,
Emily
After my Smart Meters were fitted, everything was (mostly) okay (although I am not convinced the readings are accurate because my bill keeps going up and up and up despite us using less and less and less.... but that is an issue for another time).

Recently, in the last couple of weeks, the electric meter has started making a strange 'Wheezing' noise. It'll make these 'wheezy beeps' in sets of 3 with a small gap and it happens constantly - it's going all the time. I don't think it's the gas meter valve as per other posts on this forum as it happens even when the central heating is off and we currently have no other gas appliances.

We are in the middle of building work so the visual display has had to be unplugged to allow our electrician to rewire the ring in the kitchen, but the engineer told me the smart meters work on their own and that the display didn't need to stay plugged in constantly.

I did wonder if it was an 'alert' because the display is unplugged but it's not a clear, decisive beep, it's a weird 'something is broken here' type of wheezy noise.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Vequihellin wrote:

After my Smart Meters were fitted, everything was (mostly) okay (although I am not convinced the readings are accurate because my bill keeps going up and up and up despite us using less and less and less.... but that is an issue for another time).

Recently, in the last couple of weeks, the electric meter has started making a strange 'Wheezing' noise. It'll make these 'wheezy beeps' in sets of 3 with a small gap and it happens constantly - it's going all the time. I don't think it's the gas meter valve as per other posts on this forum as it happens even when the central heating is off and we currently have no other gas appliances.

We are in the middle of building work so the visual display has had to be unplugged to allow our electrician to rewire the ring in the kitchen, but the engineer told me the smart meters work on their own and that the display didn't need to stay plugged in constantly.

I did wonder if it was an 'alert' because the display is unplugged but it's not a clear, decisive beep, it's a weird 'something is broken here' type of wheezy noise.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Hi @Vequihellin

Have a look at the 'best answer' (at the top) so you know how to rule out the gas regulator being the source of this sound.

@Vonnian can you offer some advice here?

Tim
mines is make a strange whistle sound took me ages to find out what it was

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)
    Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close