Investment in green infrastructure

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Given OVO gaurentee 33% of electricity comes from renewable sources, I'm curious to know on the basis that 33p in every £1 spent goes on green energy, how much does OVO take from this 33p to invest in expanding the green energy infrastructure?

Also does OVO have any plans to increase its minimum gaurenteed green sources on all tariffs?

@Tim_OVO @Darran_OVO
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 6 June 2017, 12:28

Mattj3135 wrote:

Given OVO gaurentee 33% of electricity comes from renewable sources, I'm curious to know on the basis that 33p in every £1 spent goes on green energy, how much does OVO take from this 33p to invest in expanding the green energy infrastructure?

Also does OVO have any plans to increase its minimum gaurenteed green sources on all tariffs?

@Tim_OVO @Darran_OVO

Great topic @Mattj3135 with a perfect title and loads of tags - that's how to do it! :)

So at OVO, we promise all our customers that we will buy at least 33% of their electricity from renewable sources. This relates to energy sources and power generation methods. The costs of transporting this is included in every household bill, but we’re not able to influence investment in green energy infrastructure directly. It goes without saying that the more companies like us buy green energy, the more investment there will be in that sector. With that in mind, get your friends to sign up to OVO ASAP (if you haven’t already)! :)

As for any planned increases in this minimum renewable energy quota, it’s safe to say we review our position on this regularly. It’s a reality that renewable energy is currently more expensive than ‘dirtier’ energy generation methods. Although the costs are coming down, we have to get the balance right between providing a tariff with over twice the average renewable energy, whilst still getting our customers a good price.

Let us know if you think we’re getting this balance right.

Tim

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Mattj3135 wrote:

@Tim_OVO @Darran_OVO

Great topic @Mattj3135 with a perfect title and loads of tags - that's how to do it! :)

So at OVO, we promise all our customers that we will buy at least 33% of their electricity from renewable sources. This relates to energy sources and power generation methods. The costs of transporting this is included in every household bill, but we’re not able to influence investment in green energy infrastructure directly. It goes without saying that the more companies like us buy green energy, the more investment there will be in that sector. With that in mind, get your friends to sign up to OVO ASAP (if you haven’t already)! :)

As for any planned increases in this minimum renewable energy quota, it’s safe to say we review our position on this regularly. It’s a reality that renewable energy is currently more expensive than ‘dirtier’ energy generation methods. Although the costs are coming down, we have to get the balance right between providing a tariff with over twice the average renewable energy, whilst still getting our customers a good price.

Let us know if you think we’re getting this balance right.

Tim
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Good to know @Tim_OVO thanks for letting me know.

I think the sooner you bring out a 100% renewable payg electricity tariff the better #justsaying
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I know this thread is old but I just wanted to say I think £5 a month for 100% green electricity is a wonderful option to have as a customer, I did a good look around for a new energy company and chose Ovo on customer service grounds. I didn't know about your 100% green add-on and think its incredible, whilst comparing companies some wanted up to 25% extra for green electric! As someone who cares a lot about the environment I think the extra £5 lets me be true to my beliefs at a very small price, well done Ovo! With the savings - yes - savings I still going to make, I'm going to sign up and give a few pound to your Ovo Foundation too. :)
Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close