Solved

Do I have to have a smart meter fitted?

I have researched at length on whether to have a meter installed and the conclusion is no thanks.
The meter does not have universal usage so if you switch to another provider you will have to get it removed or it stays redundant and who wants old kit left in your crib.
You can simply give a monthly or every three weeks' reading of electricity and gas and that is just as good and you won't have a prying meter to deal with.
The cost also needs to be totally free ie. not just saying there's no charge to installing a meter but still taking the cost out of profits for the meters installed instead of passing all savings on to all customers :cool:
icon

Best answer by Mattj3135 25 May 2017, 01:59

Blavatsky wrote:

I have researched at length on whether to have a meter installed and the conclusion is no thanks.
The meter does not have universal usage so if you switch to another provider you will have to get it removed or it stays redundant and who wants old kit left in your crib.
You can simply give a monthly or every three weeks' reading of electricity and gas and that is just as good and you won't have a prying meter to deal with.
The cost also needs to be totally free ie. not just saying there's no charge to installing a meter but still taking the cost out of profits for the meters installed instead of passing all savings on to all customers :cool:

welcome to the forum @Blavatsky and thanks for your post,

At the moment it really is an personal choice on whether to upgrade to the current smart meter technology being used by OVO and if you feel you wouldn't have much benefit from the current meters being used - no harm in staying as you are if you're content as is.

i get the vibe that this article may be of interest to you at some point as it covers the topic of next generation smart meters, you can catch the discussions here: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/all-about-energy-24/smart-meters-smets1-or-smets2-106

Kind Regards

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Blavatsky wrote:

welcome to the forum @Blavatsky and thanks for your post,

At the moment it really is an personal choice on whether to upgrade to the current smart meter technology being used by OVO and if you feel you wouldn't have much benefit from the current meters being used - no harm in staying as you are if you're content as is.

i get the vibe that this article may be of interest to you at some point as it covers the topic of next generation smart meters, you can catch the discussions here: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/all-about-energy-24/smart-meters-smets1-or-smets2-106

Kind Regards
Userlevel 3
Badge
Blavatsky wrote:

Hi Blavatsky,

I've changed the title of your topic to make it easier for other people to find.

As @Mattj3135 pointed out, there's no obligation to have smart meters installed if you'd prefer not to.

It sounds like you've made up your mind, but if you do have any questions just give us a shout.

Max
I will not have a smart meter until it is compulsory. While I hope to be with Ovo for a long time, I would want them to be compatible will all power companies before I did. I also have concerns about their susceptibilty to hacking.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hi @bakeart Welcome to the forum, don't forget to add a profile pic and update your profile!

The plan is that in the future current Smart Meters will be updated to ensure you are able to move between suppliers much more easily (should you want to). The industry has some work to do on this first to ensure it all works correctly. That being the case, there's no reason why you can't go ahead a get a Smart Meter installed now.

In regards to security, there is a conversation here: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/all-about-energy-24/smart-meter-sending-data-to-ovo-is-it-safe-727 that might provide some reassurance. You can view what others have said on this subject.

Hope that helps.

Darran
Thank you. I did not query health effects, but security remains a concern, not addressed in your link as far as I could find. There is quite a lot online regarding systems like hive etc. and a report that it has been shown possible to "reverse" communication with smart meters experimentally.
However, there is nothing to stop me taking an image of my meter including the reading and sending it to you as requested.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)
    Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close